georeferencing or rectifying

03-29-2015 01:33 AM
NormaHendy
New Contributor II

Excuse me I have a question if I have a map and I make  scan for this map and froExcuse me I have a question if I have a map and I make  scan for this map and from the grid on the map I correct the map what is the more Suitable process we can call this (rectifying or georeferencing). thanks a lotm the grid on the map I correct the map what is the more Suitable process we can call this (rectifying or georeferencing). thanks a lot

0 Kudos
5 Replies
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

Norma,

Generally, in raster community (remote sensing and photogrammetry), the process from the scanned map (no coordinates in the map) to ‘geo-referenced’ map is called “georeferencing”. Sometimes, it is very commonly heard as “rectifying”, especially, within GIS community …

Personally, both are slightly different, in that the geo-rectification may extend to spatial adjustment for higher accuracy of map (from lower-accuracy geo-referenced map). However, it may be arguable, because ESRI Georeferencing tools also support geo-rectification...

So, you can treat both equally in GIS...

NormaHendy
New Contributor II

If i am writing a paper what is the suitable to wright geo-refernced  of  geo-rectification .

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
larryzhang

For your case (i.e., from scanned map without geo-coordinates to the map with geo-coordinates), it would be highly recommended to use “geo-referencing”, even though you still can use others such as rectification, calibration, spatial adjustment, etc. (because your audiences will understand, when reading your description…)

For last 40 years, in fact, those terms with slight different processes have been gradually become blending, in particular, in GIS. In other word, their implementations from different computer solution vendors look “overlapping” …

larryzhang
0 Kudos
NormaHendy
New Contributor II

thanks a lot I am appreciate your efforts .

0 Kudos