Split Raster tool results in black images

03-27-2015 05:43 AM
MattBull
New Contributor II

I have a rather large raster that I am trying to split into small tiles in PNG format. I came across the Split Raster tool and thought it would do exactly what I wanted, so I tried using it. The result was a series of raster in the correct place, but they were all completely black. When I tried to add them in ArcMap they looked fine, but everywhere else they were black. I thought maybe the raster was too large, so I tried it on a small segment and the exact same thing happened. Anyone know what the problem is and/or how to fix this? It would be much easier and faster than trying to figure out a way to do this programatically using clip and a series of square polygons.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if you wanted to tile them, then split probably isn't the route to go. check into raster catalogs or if you only have a few, set your analysis extent to different values corresponding to your desired output then copy the raster out.  Only the cells within the extent get copied over

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you clarify this sentence?

When I tried to add them in ArcMap they looked fine, but everywhere else they were black.

What does "everywhere else" mean? Do you mean they appear black in other software?

0 Kudos
MattBull
New Contributor II

Correct, if I view the PNG tiles in windows viewer or paint or any other image editing/viewing software they appear as black images, including the software we use to generate our GIS web site.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

and you specified the same file output type ?  same with a different output type?

0 Kudos
MattBull
New Contributor II

The input is a large tif file, output format was set to be PNG. I tried outputting tifs to see if it would make a difference, and the same thing happened, black rasters were outputted.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am not so worried about the color, but the range of values in the raster.  It sounds like the image is being stretched.  you can confirm that in the symbology tab, have a look at the classification type and examine its histogram to ensure that you have valid data to begin with and not just one value

0 Kudos
MattBull
New Contributor II

The raster I'm trying to split is a hillshade model, the values range from 0 to 255.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Matt,

Can you just screenshot of what you were trying to do so we can see what will it looks like ?

0 Kudos
MattBull
New Contributor II

I have a giant hillshade model:ScreenCap1.PNG

When I run the split raster tool to split this into smaller PNG images to post on my company's GIS web mapping site, I get a whole bunch of these:

BE_Segment_3.PNG

BE_Segment_18.PNG

Spatially they are in the correct location and the extents are correct, they just all come out black. As I said in my original post, they look fine in ArcMap but in any other type of software they appear as black.

0 Kudos