Merge multiple MXDs into one.

10-01-2010 11:00 AM
AllenFord
New Contributor
Here's my problem.  I have about 20 MXDs that were built individually but now I need to take all of the data from each of these MXDs and merge them together into a single MXD.  I would like to take the contents of each map and put it into a new group layer of this new single map.  The individual maps are pretty and well organized.  If I tried to recreate these into a single map, it would take me forever.  If anyone has a python script that would do this, I would be forever great full.  I am running Arc Desktop 9.3.1 SP2.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
I don't have an automated script, but as a workaround you could open each project, group all the TOC layers and save it to a single layer file for import with the others into one project.  Or you could just copy and paste the group one project by one into the new combined project.
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
Select all layers in one mxd -> Copy -> right-click on the "target" data frame in another mxd -> "Paste Layer(s)".  Immediately after you paste the layers they will be selected so right click on any selected layer and "Group"