Navigation Bug: double click does not seem to re-center

09-30-2010 09:13 AM
mikewebster
New Contributor II
During double clicks the map should re-center and zoom (with or without the SHIFT key). The description for...

# Double Click to Center and Zoom in
# SHIFT + Double Click to Center and Zoom in

is documented @ http://help.arcgis.com/EN/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jshelp/intro_navigation.htm

These double clicks zoom but do not re-center.

This bug is present in any of the online examples with the latest API such as @ http://help.arcgis.com/EN/webapi/javascript/arcgis/demos/map/map_topo.html.

Using FireBug within the FireFox browser I even confirmed the double click was enabled...

>>> map.isDoubleClickZoom
true

I have also seen this in our current product which has v1.4 integrated.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AxelSchaefer
New Contributor II
Well, actually it *does* a recenter but not in the "harsh" way for example Google maps does. It's a slight recenter. You can test it with your provided example. Go world wide extent and zoom in to the south of South America. You'll notice that the clicked region will slightly be centered on every click. Otherwise with no recenter it should zoom near the 0/0 point.
0 Kudos
mikewebster
New Contributor II
I see what you are saying. Not sure why a true re-center would be called "harsh". I guess it is a different interpretation of what "re-center" or "center" means. The meaning of "recenter" for a key stroke of  "SHIFT + Click to recenter" has a different action than a "center" for a key stroke of "Double Click to Center and Zoom in". Not what one would expect. Several of our end users are pinging us about this topic. So, the users speak. But we can override the control or just train...will let our users decide.

Thanks for the input. So I agree, this is not a bug as I originally stated. Just a different implementation of the navigation than a user might expect.
0 Kudos
mikewebster
New Contributor II
I will interpret "harsh" as the jumpy factor of a recenter you see with most common Web 2.0 maps (including your example of google as well as bing, yahoo, mapquest, etc).

Be honest, I (a developer, not a user) sort of like the smooth factor and implementation of the ArcGIS JS API "slight" recenter. But I gotta answer to the end users who actually use the tool everyday and have expectations.

Thanks for explaining your interpretation of the feature.
0 Kudos
KevinBoone
New Contributor
I actually prefer what's being described as a "harsh" recenter.  This way I can double-click once to zoom to my location of interest, then use the zoom slider to easily see large- or medium-scale views.  When that spot that I am most interested in stays in the center, it makes it easier to compare between scales.  I don't have to take the time to adjust for my location of interest "jumping around" on the map.
0 Kudos