geometryservice measurement problim

09-29-2010 03:03 AM
anwarawad
New Contributor III
hi
am working on a site using the new JSAPI v2.1 , iam traying to give the user the a measurement tool
am using the geometryService "esri's online free one" , the service am publishing is a  WGS webmecrator projected
when i perform a meature i dont get accurate measure , instid , it returns a tinny number which is soo oppvious to be wrong ,,, but when i use another service that is  palestine grid 1923 , it returns acurate measurement data however am still using the same code  but changed the service and the spatial reference
  is this issue related to the coordinate systems ??
  what is the solution i can use to get over this problim ??

note : i faced the same problim since JSAPI v1.4
please its urgent

thanx in advance
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinGooss
Occasional Contributor
could it have anything to do with units? Like you are expecting sq. meters but are really getting acres?
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor
Web Mercator isn't the best projection to use for measuring. The ArcGIS Server blog has detailed information on this:
http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgisserver/archive/2010/03/05/Measuring-distances-and-areas-when-y...
0 Kudos
anwarawad
New Contributor III
kelly , thank you  v.v.much
the article was soo usefull

its as i suggested , that it has something with the coordinates

so i have to reproject the user's geometry then send it to the geometryservice

thanx alot
0 Kudos
anwarawad
New Contributor III
hii

another thing ..

how can i find out which coordinate is best to use for this process instid of the mecrator
i used utm-zone-28n for the area of work mainley in KSA, but i still dont have a correct result
can you help me with this ??

thanx v.v.much in advance
0 Kudos