Suggest API, "location" ignored when including "searchExtent"

Jump to solution
03-25-2015 09:06 AM
AnthonyPicciano
New Contributor

There are two optional parameters for the suggest API that we are trying to use. We set the “location” parameter to the user’s location so that nearby addresses get boosted in the suggestions. We also tried to set the “searchExtent” parameter to restrict the results to a bounding box, in our case a rectangle that roughly encompasses the United States.

Example:

http://geocode.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World/GeocodeServer/suggest?f=json&text=12%20main&loc...

This returns addresses with those suggestions closer to the user's location boosted, as expected.

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 9.59.36 AM.png

However, when we try to restrict the results by adding a searchExtent parameter,

http://geocode.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World/GeocodeServer/suggest?f=json&text=12%20main&loc...

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 10.02.54 AM.png

However, once we set the “searchExtent”, the “location” parameter seems to be ignored and we end up with suggestions centered around Kansas, rather than the user's location set by the "location" parameter. Are we misinterpreting something here? Or are these two parameters mutually exclusive? Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, Anthony Picciano​​, the release was delayed a couple of days. Target is to release tomorrow.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the write-up, Anthony.

This may be a bug. We're looking into it and will post something when we know more.

Nick.

0 Kudos
AnthonyPicciano
New Contributor

Hi Nick, any update on this bug?

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anthony. Thanks for following up.

I found out today that the bug will be fixed at the next release of the Geocoder Service, which is planned for July.

Cheers,

Nick.

0 Kudos
LorenMueller
Occasional Contributor

Hi Nick,

I am experiencing perhaps a related issue with the 'Suggest' endpoint. It is not honoring the searchExtent that I pass in. When I pass in an Extent object that roughly defines the Portland OR area, I get results returned from quite far North in WA as well. Could that issue be tied to the bug mentioned above?

Thanks,

Loren

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Loren Mueller​​. Apologies that I missed your post.

It could well be. I suggest that you try again after this release goes live.

Cheers,

Nick.

0 Kudos
AnthonyPicciano
New Contributor

Was this supposed to be in the July 10 Update? It is still not working. Is there any updated information regarding a fix for this?

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, Anthony Picciano​​, the release was delayed a couple of days. Target is to release tomorrow.

Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

FYI, this was fixed in last night's update. Loren Mueller​, I suggest you take another look and see if your issue has been resolved. From your description, I think it should be.​

0 Kudos