Transfering data between separate services?

09-24-2010 08:23 AM
BradDarby
New Contributor
Hello, I am a computer science major for the University of Mississippi, I'm working on an interface for a web service for my senior project.  I have a few questions about transferring data between services.

I'm looking for a way to transfer Boolean and image data between two services, One which is public and another which is private. 
Both services will likely run on the same server. 

I'm not even sure where to begin with this function.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Also, I am very new to this stuff and have just started to dive in, Neither service is working yet, just looking for a step in the right direction as to how these separate services could communicate with each other.

An example of how this should perform...

I have one service that is fully accessible to the public, It is a campus parking map.  I have a second secure service to be used by the campus police, that will highlight areas of concern (i.e. this parking lot is off limits today). 

I need a way for the first service to check a Boolean from the second service, (call it displayCampusAlert) and if true, to receive an overlay image of the areas of concern, to be displayed on the top of the public service. 

I know this is all very abstract, as neither services have yet to be created, so as of now, I'm just looking for some abstract protocols that could make this happen.  Any comments at all would be welcome.

Edited: 9/24/10 at 2:26 PM

Maybe the solution is to combine these services with a password for the map editor?  I'm just not sure how to go about transferring the layer from one map to another, or if there is an import, export function.  Again, any nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BradDarby
New Contributor
Hello, I am a computer science major for the University of Mississippi, I'm working on an interface for a web service for my senior project.  I have a few questions about transferring data between services.

I'm looking for a way to transfer Boolean and image data between two services, One which is public and another which is private. 
Both services will likely run on the same server. 

I'm not even sure where to begin with this function.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Also, I am very new to this stuff and have just started to dive in, Neither service is working yet, just looking for a step in the right direction as to how these separate services could communicate with each other.

An example of how this should perform...

I have one service that is fully accessible to the public, It is a campus parking map.  I have a second secure service to be used by the campus police, that will highlight areas of concern (i.e. this parking lot is off limits today). 

I need a way for the first service to check a Boolean from the second service, (call it displayCampusAlert) and if true, to receive an overlay image of the areas of concern, to be displayed on the top of the public service. 

I know this is all very abstract, as neither services have yet to be created, so as of now, I'm just looking for some abstract protocols that could make this happen.  Any comments at all would be welcome.

Edited: 9/24/10 at 2:26 PM

Maybe the solution is to combine these services with a password for the map editor?  I'm just not sure how to go about transferring the layer from one map to another, or if there is an import, export function.  Again, any nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

It appears that I need to set up a proxy page.
0 Kudos