similar shape recognition?

09-16-2010 09:47 AM
EricSiegfried
New Contributor
Hi Folks, I'm new to this Forum thinking about buying ArcGIS but need to know if it can really help me.

I have a bunch of line features in different shapefiles.  Many are pretty much the same (roads), but some are 1:100K and some are 1:24K so they vary slightly.  One dataset has some features that the other doesn't and vice-versa.

Is there a way in ARCGIS to export a new shapefile from the two shapefiles and delete any similar features?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ZacharyMetz
New Contributor
One option would be to first make a backup copy of both files (just in case you delete something by accident) Start Editor then Selection -> Select by Location....check one of the files under target layer and select the other file under Source layer.  Under Spatial Selection Method select Target layer(s) features share a segment with the Source layer feature click ok and it will select all common features along the target layer. Inspect to insure the target layer features selected are indeed the features you want deleted and click delete. Remember to make backup copies of your shape files!!!!

It is also important to mention you can perform a Search Radius for those roads that do not quite line up but are identical
0 Kudos
EricSiegfried
New Contributor
So for a feature to be a 'Common Feature', it would have to share the exact same points on the same line, correct?
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eric,

If you are still looking for solution to your problem, perhaps you can check out the conflation tools in ArcGIS Desktop. You can search by tool names, such as Detect Feature Changes or Transfer Attributes. These tools find corresponding features between two datasets and produce information based on the matching results.  Thanks.  - Dan

0 Kudos