model export is flipped - what settings will correct?

03-19-2015 03:21 PM
shawnallen
New Contributor

New to CE, trying to ramp up for a demo in the near future.  While the technology looks interesting, it's become obvious that some quality time is needed to get things accomplished.

I'm working on building a city - I have the road vectors, and building footprints, tons of data.  My problem right now is that a simple export of my first road network results in the exported model having faces described the wrong way 'round, as shown in the attachment.

I selected the Streetnetwork in the scene panel, then File >> Export >> Export selected >> AutoCad DXF

There are no presets showing in the export dialog where I choose which file format, so I don't know how to fix this in the export.  Simple for my test, but the real project has a lot more complexity!

Thx

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Shawn,

Sorry no replies so far.

Can you describe what you mean by "faces described the wrong way 'round" ?

Can you also tell how the DXF file will be used after export? (for context, and possible workarounds)

Chris

0 Kudos
shawnallen
New Contributor

In my example (upper rt corner) we are looking down on the model, and we see the back side of the model - the geometry is upside down, normals pointing negative Z, thus 'the wrong way round".  For my purposes, Z is up, x increases to the right, and Y increases forward.

My hope was to use the geometry as 3d geometry in ground vehicle visualization, so the model is visible from a distance of a few feet and at slow speed (typically).

thx

0 Kudos