Mosaic Dataset

03-18-2015 01:10 PM
Labels (1)
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I have two file geodatabases with two rasters one in each FGDB.

piramides.PNG

So, both rasters should complement and form the Island. for that reason I am creating a Mosaic Dataset

mosaic2.PNG

mosaic3.PNG

expected behavior with mosaic dataset? do i need to do a Raster dataset to see both raster and see them as one?

Thanks for your help!

Diego Llamas

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Diego,

Try deleting the raster pyramids for both rasters, creating the mosaic dataset, and then build overviews.  Overviews will build on top of the pyramids.  I believe what happening is the pyramids exist showing the areas of No Data, and then the overviews are built on top preserving the No Data areas.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Diego

you are seeking for the white areas to be "NoData", to allow valid pixels to show through.  There are two methods - 1) define nodata as 255 in the properties of the mosaic dataset, but note if these rasters are compressed (JP2, MrSID), some of the white values will be 254, 253 etc. due to compression, so you'll see undesirable white pixels around the edges.  You can define multiple values as NoData but you may lose bright pixels in the interior of your image (e.g. white buildings, cars will have transparent "holes")

2) the other method is to build footprints (which defines the extents of valid pixels) and then set property "clip raster to its footprint = YES".  For any normal mosaic, I recommend method 2, but in your case, the boundary is so complicated and convoluted, calculating (or manually entering) a proper footprint will be very difficult and will have so many vertices that performance will suffer.

Given the two complicated images you are working with, you are facing some serious limitations.  The optimum implementation would have been to build both of your large rasters as Mosaic Datasets using the hundreds (thousands?) of original images.  You'd have a lot more flexibility for color correction, adding/removing updated images, etc.  As is, with two large mosaics with pixels "baked in" you have very little flexibility and I suspect will run into a lot of other headaches.  Do you have the original, individual images?  Building a mosaic dataset of thousands (or even millions) of individual images is not difficult...

Cody B.