Polling External Website for JSON via HTTPS

Jump to solution
03-18-2015 09:23 AM
BrianLocke
Occasional Contributor II

Been trying to connect to SPOT's api URL here (with the Feed_ID) and so far unsuccessful ..... getting no event what so ever and have all the geo defs setup fine, can we poll JSON through a HTTPS?? Do I need to create another connector and instead of just HTTP set it to HTTP Basic Auth??

https://api.findmespot.com/spot-main-web/consumer/rest-api/2.0/public/feed/FEED_ID_HERE/latest.xml

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Brian -

My apologies that no one has gotten back with you in response to your question.

Would you please take a look at recent posts to these other two threads and let me know if they are of any help to you?

Best Regards -

RJ

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Brian -

My apologies that no one has gotten back with you in response to your question.

Would you please take a look at recent posts to these other two threads and let me know if they are of any help to you?

Best Regards -

RJ

JerryCorum
New Contributor

Hi Brian -

Jerry here from Esri Support Services.  You shouldn't need to use the HTTP-BasicAuthentication transport for connecting to the Spot API, though if you're using the JSON input connector, your Spot API REST endpoint should be: https://api.findmespot.com/spot-main-web/consumer/rest-api/2.0/public/feed/FEED_ID_HERE/message  The URL you linked returns XML.  I like to verify I'm getting JSON in a browser window, and then copy that URL over to the GeoEvent input connector.

You should also be aware the the Spot endpoint can only be polled roughly once every 2.5 minutes unless you are paying for their commercial service, per their guide here: SPOT Shared Page API and XML Feed Information : Hosted  I've had some trouble with Spot feeds getting locked out before - they're very helpful over the phone to reset them, but you can avoid that by setting your refresh interval appropriately (I ended up setting the ones I managed to 15 minute intervals, but I was dealing with ships and they can't get very far in 15 minutes).

I hope that helps!  Please let me know if I can help further.

Have a great day!

Jerry

Esri Support Services