Raster cell size

Jump to solution
03-17-2015 01:01 PM
johnpolo
New Contributor III

I have land use data from U.S.D.A. geospatial data gateway. I believe I read somewhere that the raster cell size is 30 m x 30 m. When I look in the Properties > Source > Raster Information, it says "Cell Size (X, Y)  31.871 , 31.871", I'm assuming that's in meters. I am trying to figure out approximate areas for several subsets of my map and want as close an estimate as possible. Can I consider it safe to do the math based on the 31.871 value and not 30?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I'd go with the 31.871 value over a general value of 30.

Also, to be on the safe side, it would be best to check the linear unit information for the image to confirm that it is meters.

In ArcMap, Right-click on the image in the Table of Contents, Properties, Source Tab, scroll down to the Spatial Reference subheading, then look at "Linear Unit" and see what the units are.

Chris Donohue, GISP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I'd go with the 31.871 value over a general value of 30.

Also, to be on the safe side, it would be best to check the linear unit information for the image to confirm that it is meters.

In ArcMap, Right-click on the image in the Table of Contents, Properties, Source Tab, scroll down to the Spatial Reference subheading, then look at "Linear Unit" and see what the units are.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
johnpolo
New Contributor III

Thanks, Chris. That all helped.

0 Kudos