Add locations on ArcMap for Network Analysis

Jump to solution
03-17-2015 11:07 AM
XiaodanNan
New Contributor II

Dear All,

I am new to ArcGIS, and got confused when using Network Analyst functions. I am following the tutorial for Network Analyst, and when I am doing Tutorial 4 which is finding the closest facility, and I saw three classes in one layer which are Transportation, Analysis and BaseMap shown below.

1.JPGI am wondering how to load or add locations of some facilities, such as fire stations in tutorial 4.I tried to follow the help, it shows how to add locations to the selected analysis class by using 'Create Network Location Tool', simply just click on the map and then it will show under the facility class.

My target is to locate over 30 petrol station on the map of Cardiff, and when add one facility by using 'Create Network Location Tool', it didn't give me any address information. just called 'Graphic pick 1'. It is time consuming to do it manually, and I am wondering if I could load the petrol station on the map, from 'Load Locations'. By solving the problem this way, how should I create a text or excel file to including the information about the petrol station. Should I consider using Geocoding to match address?

I am confused here. Could any one help me here, give me some advised?

Really appreciate.

Nancy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndySmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Xiaodan,

You do not have to create a new layer for your petrol stations. If you have one already you can use that.

If you do not have a layer, then you can create a new shapefile or feature class to store this information: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2). You can then add your petrol stations as individual points in the new feature class: Creating a point feature by clicking the map—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Alternatively, if your petrol stations are stored in an table file such as Excel for example, you can load this table into ArcMap: Adding x,y coordinate data as a layer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Please make sure to mark responses as helpful, and mark the original question as answered when it has been resolved. This helps the community know if further suggestions are required, and also which responses specifically helped resolve the issue.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AsafBen-Ari
New Contributor III

Hi Nancy,

It seems like you are confusing the "Find Route" tool (from the "Tools" toolbar) and the Network Analyst extension's functionalities.

In order to load locations to the Closest Facility layer, you have to open the Network Analyst window (from the Network Analyst toolbar), and then right click on the Facilities --> "Load Locations..", then you will have to chose a layer to load the facilities from. That means that if you have only an addresses table, you have to geocode them first. (P.S- you can add locations with a GP tool as well).

Hope I helped,

Asaf.

0 Kudos
XiaodanNan
New Contributor II

Hey Asaf,

Thanks for your reply.

You can clearly see from the pic I upload, the location of fire stations is not in a Closest Facility layer. It is in an Analysis layer. This is confusing me. How do the fire stations show in the analysis layer?

I am trying to achieve locating the 30 petrol station on the map of Cardiff for closest facility/location-allocation function. What I NOT sure is the map I had didnt have any address data, only with coordinates. Would it be possible to use an addresses table then geocoding them, and next load the facility.

Thanks very much for your time. I really appreciate.

Nancy

0 Kudos
AsafBen-Ari
New Contributor III

Hi,

In order to show addresses in a map, you have to get their coordinates, this process is called "geocoding".

You can use your own data for that, by building a personal Locator, or that you can use the ArcGIS Online locator.

Anyhow, this process must be done before you load the locations to any Network analysis.

Asaf.

XiaodanNan
New Contributor II

Hey Asaf,

Thanks for your answer. I will have a look of geocoding.

One more question about the data, when you say I can use my own data for geocoding. I downloaded the topology data and Integrated Transport Network data from Digimap, which there isnt any address data associated within them. Therefore, in order to process geocoding, I need address data of the map I downloaded separately, right?

Thanks! I really appreciate your kind help.

Nancy

0 Kudos
AndySmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Xiaodan,

Asaf is correct that you have to load location by right clicking the Facilities option in the Closest facility layer. You can then select a pre-existing layer (such as your Petrol stations or the Fire Stations) to load in to the analysis.

Closest facility analysis: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Finding the closest facility in ArcMap: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) - see step 10

Creating network analysis objects using Create Network Location: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Loading network analysis objects in ArcMap: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

XiaodanNan
New Contributor II

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your help.

I am clear with the step now. Just one question left here is that when you say--select a pre-existing layer (such as petrol stations) for loading locations--how I actually create a petrol stations layer?

According to the answer from Asaf, I need to build a personal locator by using geocodeing, am I right here?

Thanks for your patience, I am new to ArcGIS, didnt have much basic acknowledge here.

Thanks again.

Nancy

0 Kudos
AndySmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Xiaodan,

You do not have to create a new layer for your petrol stations. If you have one already you can use that.

If you do not have a layer, then you can create a new shapefile or feature class to store this information: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2). You can then add your petrol stations as individual points in the new feature class: Creating a point feature by clicking the map—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Alternatively, if your petrol stations are stored in an table file such as Excel for example, you can load this table into ArcMap: Adding x,y coordinate data as a layer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Please make sure to mark responses as helpful, and mark the original question as answered when it has been resolved. This helps the community know if further suggestions are required, and also which responses specifically helped resolve the issue.

XiaodanNan
New Contributor II

Hey Andy,

Right, I see that I didnt make my question very clear at the beginning. Actually, I didnt have any data regarding the petrol stations (such as a layer or an table file). I need to dig these petrol station location information by myself, which means I need to google the petrol station location (probably address) around Cardiff by myself. Alternately, I need to find out where I could get an table file regarding of the data.

Yes, sure, I will mark the responses as helpful at the end.

Thanks again for your patience and kind help!

Nancy

0 Kudos