AnsweredAssumed Answered

Calculating statistical correlation between features and upstream or downstream position on a river

Question asked by Theobromin on Mar 16, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 18, 2015 by Theobromin

Hello and thanks for not getting deterred by the aweful title - it's difficult to put the issue in one sentence.

So this is what I want to do: I am working on aproject about the interaction of people and urban rivers in Nairobi. I want to show on a map how wealthy areas tend to be located upstream of the river, where they are still clean, while most slums are located downstream - and I want to have statistical proof for the correlation. I have traced the rivers (polylines), slums and wealthy areas (polygons). Now, is there any statistical analysis tool, which I can use to calculate a correlation between the "age" of the river (i.e. how many meters it has "spend" in the city area of Nairobi?

To make it easier to understand, here is a picture of the map so far. Green are welathy areas; gray are informal settlements; the rivers flow from West to East. 

Screenshot 2015-03-16 19.32.54.png  

If this is not possible I would let the map speak for itself, I think I can make the point without statistical analysis, but it would be really neat "proof" it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

/Theo

Outcomes