story map tour save failed please try again

03-13-2015 12:25 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When I try to save my story map tour I get red message "Save failed. Please try again".

This drives me nuts and I usually have to start my map tour over again. ESRI? bug? Can you offer some advice?

Thank you.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

HI Andrea, sorry about your issues.

If your network connection is working fine it must be a bug.

Do you see this happening after a specific set of actions in the builder?

One advice I can give: it may be because you are entering some text content that the application doesn't know how to deal with. This can happen for exemple if you copy/paste content or try to create html tags. Are you doing any of this?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's usually when I'm trying to delete pictures "tour points" or add more or rearrange them. Especially when I first create the map story tour from my web map and I don't have the first layer as my tour points. My pictures are on Picasa so I have to create the story map tour app from my web map without a picture layer. It really doesn't like that and freaks out the app. If I start the other way: from the Story Map Tour | Story Maps  it asks me first where my pictures are located. This is great BUT this second approach doesn't let me use my own web map. So I have to do a work around to get it to work. Have you noticed this?

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Thanks, this has never been reported, we will look if we can reproduce the issue.

When you create the tour from StoryMaps website, a webmap is created behind the scene for you. You can find it though "My Content" in ArcGIS Online and modify it to include layers. This should not change anything regarding your first issue but I thought I would just precise that.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah, ok this is probably the best way to create the story map tour then. Create the tour from the StoryMaps website and then add layers to the webmap that is added behind the scenes, as you described. I didn't fully realize I could do that, so thank you.

As I stated above, creating the Story Map Tour from the already created webmap doesn't work very well if you are importing pictures from online since it looks for the first layer as the picture layer automatically. Probably should change the way that works so it asks the user instead of automatically assuming.

Thanks.

C_EHoward

has this issue ever been resolved? I am trying to add a location to use as my overview (first slide) and every time I try to save I cannot. I am using a web map I created w/ a hosted (my server) feature service as my tour point layer. I really do not want to have to create something at the story maps page just because my already-created web map is not working....seems like things should work the same anywhere. Between this and the map not able to zoom to my tour locations it doesn't really seem like a very good solution for me so far.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi C.E.,

Sorry you are having trouble. I just tested this workflow and it seems to work for me and I don't believe we were ever able to reproduce the original issue reported above. Could you please post or message me a link to your web map so I can take a look and try to reproduce this with your map?

When you said "hosted (my server) feature service" do you mean that you are trying to use a tour layer that is hosted on your own ArcGIS Server machine?

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
C_EHoward

Hi Owen-

yes, I am trying to use a tour layer that I am hosting as a feature service-- I had thought that was allowed in this story map template (although not in all apparently, which is a bummer as I don't want to consume credits for something I should  be able to host)

I am also having trouble saving when I try and change a photo from the 'not available' image that is the default. My FC has one URL field that has the links to the photos but if I try and add or change something, that causes the new changes to fail to save. I was able to get around the adding a new tour point by creating a new point in my FC and republishing. seems anything I want to change after the fact  that has to do with adding more information makes the project fail to save.

I can send you a PM with my web map details-- right now its not public as I dont really want to keep broadcasting all my test maps. thanks for the help offer.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

CE - is the feature service on your GIS server enabled for editing? Did you create the service using the same fields as the template CSV that you can access in the Map Tour app or wire up the fields in Settings > Data?

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III

I was having this issue as well, and called to support.  They referred me to forgo using my own server and instead hosting it online(in the cloud).

0 Kudos