Different layers, but same category colors

Jump to solution
03-12-2015 10:50 AM
OlegMueller
New Contributor

Hello all,

I have added two layers with polygons from the same location, but with different shapes. On both layers I have enabled under symbology, categories, unique values coloring. The unique values are in both layers the same and I want to have on both layers the same colors, because I want to create a screenshot showing both layers. How can I get ArcMap to use the same colors for the unique values on both layers?

I am using ArcMap 10.2.

thx

Oleg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Here's the basic process details.  Note that there are several other variations to this (and shortcuts), but this will the job done:

1.  Set up your symbology with the unique values in one feature class

2.  Once it looks good, in ArcMap, right-click on the feature class and choose "Save as Layer File..."

3.  Save it to a location where you can find it again.

4.  Add in to ArcMap your other feature class you want symbolized the same way.

5.  Right-click on this feature class, Properties, then choose the "Symbology" tab.

6.  On the left, under "Show:" make sure the proper method is hightlighted.  I'm guessing with your data it shoudl be set to "Categories, Unique values", but it will depend on your data and how you are symbolizing it.

7.  Then click on the "Import..." button in the upper right.  Change the radio button to "Import symbology definition from another layer in the map or from a layer file:"

8.  Browse to your layer file

9.  When the "Import Symbology Matching Dialog" window comes up, be sure to fill in the "Value Field" so it matches the field you used when creating the symbology (i.e. the unique values field).

10.  You should be all set.

Layer file creation:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Importing symbology from another layer:

Chris Donohue, GISP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One way to do this is to create a Layer File (.lyr), then apply it to both.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

...ooor import symbology.

1.PNG

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Here's the basic process details.  Note that there are several other variations to this (and shortcuts), but this will the job done:

1.  Set up your symbology with the unique values in one feature class

2.  Once it looks good, in ArcMap, right-click on the feature class and choose "Save as Layer File..."

3.  Save it to a location where you can find it again.

4.  Add in to ArcMap your other feature class you want symbolized the same way.

5.  Right-click on this feature class, Properties, then choose the "Symbology" tab.

6.  On the left, under "Show:" make sure the proper method is hightlighted.  I'm guessing with your data it shoudl be set to "Categories, Unique values", but it will depend on your data and how you are symbolizing it.

7.  Then click on the "Import..." button in the upper right.  Change the radio button to "Import symbology definition from another layer in the map or from a layer file:"

8.  Browse to your layer file

9.  When the "Import Symbology Matching Dialog" window comes up, be sure to fill in the "Value Field" so it matches the field you used when creating the symbology (i.e. the unique values field).

10.  You should be all set.

Layer file creation:

Importing symbology from another layer:

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
NigelPereira
New Contributor III

You can import symbology from a layer in the current map document or an ArcGIS layer file (.lyr).

Help document: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2).

0 Kudos
OlegMueller
New Contributor

Thanks to all. It looks great now

0 Kudos