Help with scaling images for Story Map Journal

03-10-2015 08:04 PM
FerdinandQuinones
New Contributor II

I am a rookie at building Story Maps, have done some of the simpler. Tackling a Journal format, and most of all OK, except that the images that I bring up to the Main are too large. How do you scale them to be smaller, particularly if to be used as pop-ups? Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ferdinand Quiñones

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Welcome in Story Maps world

For the Main Stage, did you notice that configuration panel when you add the image?mainstage.png

For Map pop-ups you, that article should help you Tips for displaying photos in pop-ups | ArcGIS Blog

FerdinandQuinones
New Contributor II

Dear Gregory: Thanks for the advice and tip. I do not know if your message lost something, but after you mention the configuration panel in Main Stage, other than the advise for the pop-ups reference, there is no other comment. I used bothe the fill and fit oprions on the Main Stage, and my figures (these are maps of sections of Puerto Rico) are still too large and cut off some of the information pertinent to the Story Map.  I am not using a map, but an image (the photos), which I already discovered does not give you the option of moving or zooming. Not too good for my objective since on the Map option, and layer that I try to bring up to the map is rejected as being too large (>1,000 points). This limitation will hinder a wide expansion of the format, since most ARCGIS users have dozens of layers as shp files that exceed this parameter. 

Apart from the issues with the size of layers, any advice to show my images on the Main Page will be appreciated.

Cordially,

Ferdinand Quiñones

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Hi Ferdinand,

My message was complete

The fit option should not cut any of your image.

If your image is large, it will get scaled down, if it is small it won't get scaled up so this should work in any case but i may miss something. Could you share a link to your Journal?

About the issue with number of features exceeding a limit, you will have to host your data in ArcGIS Online as hosted Feature Service or use ArcGIS Server.

0 Kudos
FerdinandQuinones
New Contributor II

Hi, Gregory. I was on travel and did not see your email until now. Here

is the link to a Story Map Journal of the main waterfalls in Puerto Rico I

am working on (only partially populated with images and GIF's):

http://arcg.is/1xiV4ol.

Check the green marker for an example of a picture that shows rather small.

If you check the blue group just south of the green marker (just about 5 in

the clock dial), I have added some GIF's that are also small. I tried

increasing the size of the images with GIMP but there is no effect. Any

help will be appreciated.

Cordially,

Ferdinand

0 Kudos
FerdinandQuinones
New Contributor II

Here again, Gegory. I forgot to ask about the hosting explanation in your

email above. I have an individual license as an educator, and my knowledge

is limited. Does my license include hosting data in ArcGIS Online as hosted

Feature Service or using ArcGIS Server? Please advise and any guidance.

Thanks again.

Ferdinand

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:07 PM, Ferdinand Quinones <fquinon@gmail.com>

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Hi Ferdinand,

About images in popup, images will get scaled down to 200px by 150px with respect to your images aspect ratio.

This means that if your image is a typical portrait image, very tall, what you see is the expected behavior.

Your solution to have a bigger image is to resize your images so that they have the 200x150px aspect ratio (1.3), this will involve cropping some part of your images.

This thread may also help you Tips for displaying photos in pop-ups | ArcGIS Blog

If this does not fit your need, you would have to customize the popup to change it's behavior by downloading the template (css customization).

0 Kudos