Arcgis 10.3 installs Errors

03-05-2015 11:54 AM
LionelJames
New Contributor II

Hi

has anyone had install issues with arcgis10.3 on creation of new site

Clean server os2012 - all permissions set on folders as required firewall disabled  alas still getting

Failed to create the site.com.esri.ArcGIS.discovery.servicelib.agsexception.

Anyone had similar issues .

Cheers

LJ

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MarkusSchenardi
Occasional Contributor

I had this issue when rebuilding a site (after deleting another one on the same server).

I could solve it by deleting the windows user profile (c:\users\<username>) of the user running AGS (a domain account)

Markus Schenardi
Laixo AG - Zürich - Switzerland
Member of the Esri Partner Network
LionelJames
New Contributor II

Hi markus

Thanks tried that alas to no avail.

Removed - recreated accounts tried everything.

Now has been escalated to Esri - waiting on a response from them.

I can install 10.21 and push 10.3 over the top but appears we cannot do a clean 10.3 install.

LJ

0 Kudos
TomSanderson
New Contributor II

Hi, we are encountering the same issue

Installing AGS 10.3 on Windows Server 2012 fails with  a error

site. com.esri.arcgis.discovery.servicelib.AGSException

I can install AGS10.2.2 without issues but AGS 10.3 fails consistently

The latest advice we have from support is to install AGS with a domain admin account as it could be a group policy issue

We are testing this is our dev environment now to make sure it works as we are unsure what the domain admin account could do to the AD environment

Cheers

Tom

0 Kudos
LionelJames
New Contributor II

Hi tom

Tried that still got the same error - have even just upgraded to server 2012r2 and again same issues. Have put down procmon and cannot see where it errors. Will get there in the end -- just waiting on ESRI to respond.

Let me know if you get any further. Cheers LJ

0 Kudos
TomSanderson
New Contributor II

Hi Lionel,

We did some more testing with the AGS 10.3 install without success, so far we have identified that it is not the creation of the server services that is causing the site creation to fail. We haven't been able to increase the debugging level when the site creation fails to provide a better insight to the error yet.

Our support ticket is been worked on still and will let you know if we make more progress, we have a webex session lined up with support to provide more insights.

Cheers

Tom

MichaelLink1
New Contributor II

Hi Guys,

I've run into this same issue this week. Setting up a testing environment for 10.3 on a new Win server 2012 R2 machine. We ran the installation fine up until it was time to create a new site, where it fails consistently.

Anyone gotten any further?

0 Kudos
AndySmith
Esri Contributor

I have seen situations when restarting the server resolved the issue. Once restarted, the site was created successfully.

MichaelLink1
New Contributor II

Hi Guys,

I managed to get it up and running.

Here is what I did, my testing server is a domain-joined server by the way:

I installed the server with the regular process: domain admin user used to install.

I created a local user that the server uses to start the services (Important).

when the installation completed and the server manager site deployment was brought up,

I closed the browser.

I proceeded to go into the Administrative Tools -> services  and stopped the gis server

Then, edited the properties of the service from there and changed the user account

to that of a domain user that would have administrative privileges on that system.

Then, I proceeded to go to the directory where the arcgisserver folder is located, in my case,

the c:\arcgisserver. Then, i looked up the properties and into the security tab then into advanced.

Removed inheritance and replaced all child object permissions with the copied permissions and applied.

Then I changed the owner of the object to the same domain account set to start the service and had

it propagate ownership to all child folders and files. Applied, closed and re-opened folder properties.

Then I removed the local user from the permissions list and added the new owner to have full control.

Applied and exited with ok.

Now, start the service and load the server manager site and you should be good to go. 🙂

You can remove the local user and its folder and all traces of it since its no longer going to be used.

LionelJames
New Contributor II

Hi all

So managed to get it all working and
have now managed to do this multiple times.

Assumption is you are starting with a
clean server --( if not make sure you remove any old folders and also Profiles
of users involved. The following consistently works for me now and tested with
other users.

• Make sure you have a connection to www.esri.com open In IE run as administrator during install & configuration.
  • Run as administrator the msi installer (msiexec /I d:\admin\Install\ArcGISServer\SetupFiles\setup.msi
         /L*V d:\arcgisserver.log)
  • Before you configure the site change the service to the domain account.
  • Make sure the account has local admin access.
  • Apply not only file permissions ( full access ) but change the security "owner" of the folder to that of the account as well
  • Reboot the server in between install and config changes.

Some of the issues I have had appear to be related to profiles, permissions and an "open connection” to
the esri web site. Key points clean any old profiles out!!

Some of these might be red herrings and will leave ESRI to fix.. but the above i can get it all working ( so
far 7 times )