Ranking Polygons by content

Jump to solution
03-04-2015 02:50 AM
TerenceAlexander1
New Contributor

I am looking for a way to rank polygons by their contents. I cannot divulge the exact context but for sake of argument lets say that I have council "district" polygons as one layer and "roads" as another layer. I would like to show what "districts" have the busiest "roads" in them. I have the stats for the "road usage" and the "roads" often cross several "districts". I would also need to do the same for an alternative to "roads" that will be polygon format.

Sorry if this seems confusing! Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Use an intersect of the council polygons with the roads. The result will be a lines cut by and enriched with the polygon information. Perform your analysis inside that table and join back to the council polygons.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KishorGhatage
Occasional Contributor III

I believe you can use spatial join tool. This tool will spatially extract the information of road usage to polygon. Then you can perform different analysis on the polygon and the road usage using summary statistics and assign ranks to polygons.

Hope this is helpful

Kishor.

0 Kudos
TerenceAlexander1
New Contributor

Thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know!

0 Kudos
TerenceAlexander1
New Contributor

Yep, this seems to be exactly what i'm looking for. Thank you!

0 Kudos
TerenceAlexander1
New Contributor

Turns out this only seems to work for points, not lines and polygon layers. Anyone else have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Use an intersect of the council polygons with the roads. The result will be a lines cut by and enriched with the polygon information. Perform your analysis inside that table and join back to the council polygons.

0 Kudos
TerenceAlexander1
New Contributor

OK, i'll try this and see if it works.

This is turning out to be a lot harder than I first anticipated! Thanks again for the suggestions.

0 Kudos