Frustrated - Non-editable editable feature service

Jump to solution
03-02-2015 02:56 PM
AllenRisley
Occasional Contributor II

I am past the point of frustration.

I am trying to provide GIS support to a class at my university that is creating a food source map.  I have created a map and shared it to the class group. (Actually, I have no shared it to "Everyone" in order to make it easier to get help).  Here is the map: http://csusm-gis-lab.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c982294b84c740879da7a3fa857e1f5c

The map contains a series of feature services.  The students in the class are supposed to click on the markers on the map (food stores), click on "Edit" and then enter data into several blank fields (ratings of the amount and quality of types of food in the stores).  For some feature services the "Edit" prompt appears, for others it does not.  I need help figuring out why or why not.

I created the feature services by importing CSV files into the map, saving the layers, then publishing the layers as feature services.  I have shared the layers and feature services to the class group.  I have gone into the details for each feature service and chose to make the service editable.  I have enabled editing on the layers in the map.  I have deleted the original imported layer and then "Added" the feature service.  Still I get some that work and some that do not.

Help?!?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AllenRisley

Eureka!  The Oceanside layer that was added to the map was *not* a feature service - it was a "feature collection".  When I publish the saved data layers to feature services ArcGIS Online also creates an item called a "feature collection".  Each published data layer has two items listed in "My Content" - a "feature service" and a "feature collection".  Both items have the same name and are listed as type "Feature Layer", but they have different properties when you choose to view the item details.  This becomes very confusing when you are trying to edit the feature service/layer/collection and add it to a map.

I am now going back into "My Content" to rename the feature collections so as to lessen the confusion (for me).

Thanks for your help.  I'm still not sure if the students can edit the feature service data.  But I think I'm getting closer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Allen,

The URL to your web map can't be accessed anonymously, you should use this URL if you don't want people to have to sign in. http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c982294b84c740879da7a3fa857e1f5c

I'm able to add this layer to a new web map and editing is enabled, have you tried creating a new web map?

http://services.arcgis.com/uEH09Hfm70zI2ZxR/ArcGIS/rest/services/Fallbrook_Food_Stores-Feature_Servi...

Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks,

-Dan

0 Kudos
AllenRisley

Thanks for checking it out and for the tip on the URL.  And yes, the Fallbrook layer is editable, but the Oceanside one isn't and I can't tell why not.  Did you look at that one? (Vista and San Marocs are editable as far as I can tell).

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I'm  sure you were intending this for an exercise in Web GIS, but I decided to bring your arcgis server to ArcGIS for Desktop for a try as a .lpk.

Fallbrook, San Marcos, and Vista all allowed me to create local copies for editting and able to sync back, while the Oceanside one doesn't even come in with the lpk file.

Within the web map, since all the food stores are symbolized the same, I can't tell which are which.

Also worth noting, I think your Fallbrook dataset came in with the lpk, but the dataset was empty, no points were showing on the map.

0 Kudos
AllenRisley

I have no idea why the Fallbrook layer would act differently.  It was created and has the same attributes as the others.Fallbrook.jpgOceanside.jpgSan_Marcos.jpgVista.jpg

0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

I don't think Oceanside Food Stores is actually a feature service, there's no service URL listed for it in the web map description. Maybe this layer wasn't actually published as a service when you added it, I would try recreating it from your CSV. 

2015-03-02_1619.png

AllenRisley

Eureka!  The Oceanside layer that was added to the map was *not* a feature service - it was a "feature collection".  When I publish the saved data layers to feature services ArcGIS Online also creates an item called a "feature collection".  Each published data layer has two items listed in "My Content" - a "feature service" and a "feature collection".  Both items have the same name and are listed as type "Feature Layer", but they have different properties when you choose to view the item details.  This becomes very confusing when you are trying to edit the feature service/layer/collection and add it to a map.

I am now going back into "My Content" to rename the feature collections so as to lessen the confusion (for me).

Thanks for your help.  I'm still not sure if the students can edit the feature service data.  But I think I'm getting closer.

0 Kudos