How to change encoding options for a shp file

03-03-2015 05:34 AM
NaimeCelik
Occasional Contributor

After creating a shp file with attributes containing Turkish characters like ş,ç,ü.., Upon exporting it as another shp file , shp file having problem on displaying those character, Is there any way in ArcGIS to change encoding option like in QGIS. I can change system encoding from UTF-8 to windows 1254 and I have no problem on displays. But how do I do it in ArcGIS???

0 Kudos
8 Replies
YousefQuran
Occasional Contributor

HI Naime Celik​,

I am having the same issue with Arabic characters .. did you find the solution ?

0 Kudos
NaimeCelik
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, I could not find any solution with in arcgis yet

0 Kudos
YousefQuran
Occasional Contributor

Hi Naime Celik​, Neil Ayres​,

Update: with ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3 it is works fine and solved the problem of characters like ş,ç,ü..

Hope this help you. Please if you find the Correct Answer mark it with green sign from Action
( bellow ) In order to improve our community.

Regards,
Yusuf 

NaimeCelik
Occasional Contributor

I am using 10.2.1 at the moment, as soon as I try to export a shp file with the newer version of the arcgis and test it out, I will indicate your answer as correct . Thanks again

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Although I am uncertain about encoding character sets beyond utf8, I am sure you would have more success if you moved away from using shapefiles (a close to 25 year old technology) and migrated your data into geodatabases.

0 Kudos
NaimeCelik
Occasional Contributor

Hi Neil,

I personally prefer using geodatabases, unfortunately, you cannot use them in many proprietary software such as Petrel.  So the data is being requested as shp file.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

My sympathies. Yes, it is a fact that for many other systems, the shapefile seems to have become the de-facto standard for interoperability.

But there must be other ways of getting stuff into and out out the Schlumberger software.. Have you looked at data interop?

0 Kudos
RakeshSinha
Occasional Contributor

Hi Naime,

Please take a look at the following technical article. I believe this will resolve the issue for you:

21106 - Read and write shapefile and dBASE files encoded in various code pages 

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Rakesh

0 Kudos