Questions about Linux installation content

Jump to solution
02-27-2015 07:19 AM
testtest44
New Contributor

Hi,

I would like to get some information about the linux installation because i don't understand all the things. I wanted to try the c++ api to test what was possible to do with arcgis and if it was suitable for my apps. I like to point out i didn't install the sdk yet.

I only downloaded the file (that one: ArcGIS_Runtime_SDK_Qt_Linux64_1025.tar.gz). I was checking what was inside before installing. I saw the setup script, i checked it. But when i checked the other directories, in the runtimeSDKQt directory I only found DLL files and wine stuff...

Why exactly those files are there. Isn't there a native build for linux ? Are you using wine for the "porting" ? Did i miss something ?

Can you explain to me how this goes please ?

Thank you in advance !

Have a nice day !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasDunn
Occasional Contributor

Greetings from Redlands.

If you writing apps targeting Android, iOS or OS X, your apps will not use local server or Wine.

Wine is used to support local server only. If you are not using local server, then your app will not use Wine. Local server only runs on Windows and Linux. If you do not choose C++ support when you install our SDK, then local server (with Wine) will not be installed.

You can read more about what local server is used for in the Guide in the topic https://developers.arcgis.com/qt/cpp/guide/local-server-package-support.htm. You will find as you read through the guide that many interactions with local (on your device) data do not require local server.

Thanks for downloading our SDK.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ThomasDunn
Occasional Contributor

Greetings from Redlands.

If you writing apps targeting Android, iOS or OS X, your apps will not use local server or Wine.

Wine is used to support local server only. If you are not using local server, then your app will not use Wine. Local server only runs on Windows and Linux. If you do not choose C++ support when you install our SDK, then local server (with Wine) will not be installed.

You can read more about what local server is used for in the Guide in the topic https://developers.arcgis.com/qt/cpp/guide/local-server-package-support.htm. You will find as you read through the guide that many interactions with local (on your device) data do not require local server.

Thanks for downloading our SDK.

0 Kudos
testtest44
New Contributor

Hi Thomas,

First of all, thanks for answering me !

Let me make it clear, and don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong.

You said "If you do not choose C++ support when you install our SDK, then local server (with Wine) will not be installed."

Do "c++ support" mean the c++ api ? If so, the local server (with Wine) will then be installed.

I checked the guide and some c++ samples. From what i saw and understood, there are two ways to get the maps data, either online (on your servers, right ?) or locally with files. I would only use local files. But those local files are loaded via the local server (do i need to create packages all the time ?).

Now, the question is, is it possible not to use the local server (because i do not want to use wine!!) to load maps ?

What I want to do is really simple. Render some maps with data, create graphics above them that you can move/select etc (for the moment at least). I don't really need all the services that you can provide. Using your sdk with qt would make the job easier and more convenient.

Thanks !

Have a nice day !

0 Kudos
ThomasDunn
Occasional Contributor

Hello, test test.

You can display maps without local server but using local files. Did you see this C++ sample? https://developers.arcgis.com/qt/cpp/sample-code/add_graphics_sample.htm

In this sample, the basemap is a TPK file (a tile package) that is displayed without the need for local server. This sample also demonstrates how to add graphics to the graphics layer on top of the basemap.

With reference to your question about installing local server: Yes, I meant that local server is installed if you install the C++ API.

I recommend that you consider using a basemap as a canvas over which you will draw your features. Have a look at the Guide section Add a basemap at the link below.

Create an offline map—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt | ArcGIS for Developers

Let us know how things go. Thanks!

(TAD: minor edit: fixed a typo)

0 Kudos
testtest44
New Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Indeed, i had seen that C++ sample ... I forgot it, my bad.

Thanks for your advice, that's also what i planned to do.

I'll test all of this later when i have time.

Thanks again !

Have a nice day !

0 Kudos