AnsweredAssumed Answered

Derived Mosaic Dataset Issues

Question asked by klathan on Feb 26, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 20, 2015 by jie_zhang-esristaff

Hello,

I am trying to create a new basemap for my team using an image service to allow them some access to the metadata. I have a bunch of different raster datasets and after reading all the help articles decided to go with the pattern of source mosaics for each dataset with a derived mosaic dataset containing the source mosaics. So let's say I have S1 (large scale), S2 (regional), S3 (city) mosaics, D1 (derived containing S1, S2, and S3 inserted as Tables, not Rasters, in order to keep the metadata.)

Here's where the trouble starts. I want to do some management of the metadata as I add things into the source mosaics. For example,let's say the users want S3 to show up sooner when they zoom in. So I need to update MaxPS. But when I update MaxPS in S3, even if I run Syncronize on the mosaics, D1 completely ignores the S3 metadata and goes back to the original raster file metadata. The upshot being, any time I want to add things, if I want to keep MaxPS up to date, I have to keep track of what I've added and query/update it in BOTH S3 and D1.

I guess my question is, why use derived mosaic datasets with the table insert option at all if there isn't an option to keep the metadata in sync? I'm basically doubling my geodatabase size for nothing at this point. Is there a reason why I shouldn't just make one huge mosaic with all my raster data?

Thanks for your help.

Outcomes