ArcGIS Pro vs. ArcMap - When to use it?

Jump to solution
02-27-2015 05:56 AM
KenricMcCay
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I was just wondering about ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap.  I have both, but I do not know too much yet about ArcGIS Pro.

My question is when should/would I use ArcGIS Pro?  I'm still using ArcMap, but should I start to use Pro for some of my projects?  Is Pro mostly for using with Online while ArcMap is more for of the traditional route?

Any information would be great!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GabrielYarlequé
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kenric,

Here are some useful links that will clear up some questions you may have about ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro. Just so you know, ArcGIS Pro is not a replacement for ArcMap. There are some functions and elements in ArcMap that are not implemented in ArcGIS Pro. Pro is completely integrated with ArcGIS Online so sharing, viewing and accessing data from your online content will be much easier. Pro works with projects meaning that in one project you can have maps in 2D or 3D scenes (local and global), as well as multiple layout views. Similar to ArcMap, you can connect to databases, geodatabases, servers, and access tables, layers, datasets, toolboxes within the same project. And you can share your work as a project, map package layer package. Additionally, you can also import to ArcGIS Pro maps and layouts created with previous versions of ArcMap. The new structure, ribbon-based interface and graphics allows for better management and processing of geographic data.

ArcGIS Pro: An Introduction: ArcGIS Pro: An Introduction | ArcGIS Video

Seminar: Streamline GIS Workflows with ArcGIS Pro: Esri Training | Streamline GIS Workflows with ArcGIS Pro

Free training course: Getting started with ArcGIS Pro: Esri Training | Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro

I hope you find this information helpful!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
HariYeruva
New Contributor III

Hello McCay,

I Suggest you to start exploring ArcGIS Pro when you have 3d Content in your map like a DEM/DTM and when you want to simultaneously explore 2D and 3D views in the same window.

But if you are someone new to ArcGIS Desktop then ArcMap is the best option for you to understand the workflows and the tools to use,once you can perform all the basic tasks you can migrate to ArcGIS Pro.

You also have to factor in at the System Requirement which are very demanding for Pro.

EvaReid
New Contributor II

One of the challenges for our organization is going to be the 64-bit OS requirement. We're considering our options, but it will remain to be seen how well Pro is going to filter through our org.

GabrielYarlequé
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kenric,

Here are some useful links that will clear up some questions you may have about ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro. Just so you know, ArcGIS Pro is not a replacement for ArcMap. There are some functions and elements in ArcMap that are not implemented in ArcGIS Pro. Pro is completely integrated with ArcGIS Online so sharing, viewing and accessing data from your online content will be much easier. Pro works with projects meaning that in one project you can have maps in 2D or 3D scenes (local and global), as well as multiple layout views. Similar to ArcMap, you can connect to databases, geodatabases, servers, and access tables, layers, datasets, toolboxes within the same project. And you can share your work as a project, map package layer package. Additionally, you can also import to ArcGIS Pro maps and layouts created with previous versions of ArcMap. The new structure, ribbon-based interface and graphics allows for better management and processing of geographic data.

ArcGIS Pro: An Introduction: ArcGIS Pro: An Introduction | ArcGIS Video

Seminar: Streamline GIS Workflows with ArcGIS Pro: Esri Training | Streamline GIS Workflows with ArcGIS Pro

Free training course: Getting started with ArcGIS Pro: Esri Training | Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro

I hope you find this information helpful!

KenricMcCay
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for helping me out!  I appreciate it.

BradleyKanther
New Contributor

I get this is an old thread. But hoping that previous posters are clued in enough to maybe respond

Just so you know, ArcGIS Pro is not a replacement for ArcMap.

Is this statement still true in 2020

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Bradley - from the 2020 Esri User Conference Q&A, there's a section about ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro.  You can find it here.

In addition, you can see the ArcMap Product Life Cycle here - ArcMap 10.8.1 will be retired March 1, 2026.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos