Polygons vs Textures for Rendering

02-26-2015 03:00 AM
NathanStocker
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I've been wondering about when I should use CGA to create shape components and when I should use textures?

For instance - after splitting building facades between wall, window and door components, would it be better to insert a window texture or to split it further into the window frames and glass panes? This latter approach drives up polygon counts, but means there's less images being incorporated. Another example is where I've split up wooden walls into planks to give them more sense of depth (which looks nice but really drives up the polygon count!)

As a bit of context, I'm making models and scenes to export to LumenRT for rendering and would like to minimize stuttering and generally overloading my graphics card.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

ThanksNate

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MatthiasBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

there is no binary answer possible to this, it depends on the situation.

but maybe look into instancing that saves at least memory for geometry (it does not make the rendering faster).

what I would do is create an LOD switch where you can change the state per building.

I created something similar when I created the Medieval Town example. Check out the code for the windows there.

Matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

twitter: @MattB3D

------------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

matthias.buehler@garsdaledesign.co.uk

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk