digitized aerial images workflow

02-24-2015 12:43 PM
Labels (2)
SharonJanzen
New Contributor III

Previously I have received assistance with determining a workflow for digitized maps and I was wondering if someone has come up with some best practices for digitized historical aerial imagery?

For now, our workflow goes something like this:

1. scan contact prints at 600 dpi, TIFF, no compression, no enhancements applied (~4000 air photos)(Epson Expression 10000 XL)
  2. crop and tweak as necessary (brightness, contrast, levels, sharpen) maintaining the original scan for archival purposes (Adobe Photoshop)
  3. "photomerge" multiple images together to create 'chunks' or "mosaics" of imagery (using Adobe Photoshop)
  4. georeference the 'mosaics' in ArcGIS 10.2.2 using spline transformation and cubic convolution
  5. create a mosaic dataset of the georeferenced imagery
  6. serve up a modified copy of the footprints to AGOL to provide users with an index and links to download the mosaics from our FTP site.

Here is the index so far: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1b1ba3dd10e0476d8c71d97279b459ba

Samples of the mosaics may be accessed here: ftp://ftp.library.brocku.ca/Niagara_54_55/

I potentially have access to ArcServer with Image Extension but wonder about alternate options unless nothing is as good as using Server?

Comments? Suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

Your workflow for scanned airphotos looks practical /working ...

On serving your georeferenced imagery (TIFF), in order to download 'individually' from your FTP via index link (footprints) within ArcGIS Online, it is best to do programming.

However, you are required to figure out how to effectively manage your georeferenced imagery (TIFF) in FTP server so that users can easily locate and download?

1. organize into the file folder (like Documentum)?
  2. via spatially:
    1. image service / Mosaic Dataset (ArcGIS Server)?
    2. raster catalog (ArcSDE)....

For your case, it is nice to try raster catalog in ArcSDE...

0 Kudos