Error Returning licenses ArcGIS for Desktop concurrent use - using different license server

Jump to solution
02-23-2015 02:45 AM
AlexLechner
New Contributor

Hi,

I am running ArcGIS for desktop 10.2.1 on Windows 8 and I am having problems returning concurrent use licenses. The licenses were borrowed while I was at another workplace. I have started a new job and would like to use the licenses on their server. Unfortunately I can't return the licenses as I no longer have access to the previous license server - every time I try return the license I receive an "Error Returning License" message. I have also tried uninstalling ArcGIS, however, when I reinstall ArcGIS the licenses are already borrowed when I open the ArcGIS Administrator. I am not sure where the license data is stored. I assume in the registry.

Thanks,

Alex

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndySmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Alex,

The license information is held in C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet.

You can rename this folder to essentially start again (e.g. Old_FLEXnet).

Please ensure that all of the files held in the folder are prefixed with  ARCGIS_ as this folder may also contain licensing information pertaining to other software packages.

40611 - Clear or delete Trusted Storage for concurrent-use and single-use licenses

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Alex,

Are you able to open ArcMap on your laptop using the borrowed licenses? The snapshot is showing the borrow period is 0 days. If the borrowing period is over, the licenses have already been returned to the earlier License Manager.

Moreover, if available, licenses can only be returned when you are connected to the same LM from which the licenses were borrowed.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
0 Kudos
AlexLechner
New Contributor

Hi Jayanta.

Thanks for your quick reply. Andy Smith's solution worked well.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
AndySmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Alex,

The license information is held in C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet.

You can rename this folder to essentially start again (e.g. Old_FLEXnet).

Please ensure that all of the files held in the folder are prefixed with  ARCGIS_ as this folder may also contain licensing information pertaining to other software packages.

40611 - Clear or delete Trusted Storage for concurrent-use and single-use licenses

AlexLechner
New Contributor

Hi Andy,

That worked.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Cheers,

Alex

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Alex, even though your setup is now fixed, if the license had not timed out on the system you borrowed from, as a courtesy to your former employer, you may want to let them know that a license might still be borrowed on their system.. They may have to contact their customer support rep to get the license back on their end.  If it has expired, as Jayanta mentioned, it should be ok.

0 Kudos
AlexLechner
New Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will let them know.

Out of interest as the license expires in a week or will that be a problem - unless they needed it now?

Alex

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Alex, unless they are short on licenses, if it expired in a week it will automatically be added back to their count. (still, they may like to know)  The problem would be if the timeout was an extended period of time.  For "borrowed" licenses, especially if the machine is no longer connected to the network, I do not know of anyway to force the return and for it to be added back.  That is one reason I keep our borrow period to 14 days.

BTW - this can also be a problem if the machine has a meltdown and is not reboot-able or able to connect to the network anymore.

0 Kudos