AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can the Particle Track (Spatial Analyst) tool be terminated when a specific change in the path direction angle occurs?

Question asked by mdpinson on Feb 19, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 29, 2015 by mdpinson

I developed a Python script to read through a CSV file of coordinate points and use those coordinate points in the Particle Track (Spatial Analyst) tool. Now that I have created the particle track polylines associated with the list of coordinate points, I need to truncate the polylines if the particle track path changes direction by more than 90 degrees. I looked through all of the available toolsets, but I cannot identify one that will trim the polylines in this manner.

I thought of a couple of possible solutions, but I do not know how to implement them (or if it is even possible). One method would be to somehow customize the Particle Track tool to end its process if the track direction changes by more than 90 degrees. Alternately, I considered somehow adjusting the input raster to create an artificial zone of zero magnitude that would stop the tracking process, but I have not figured out how I can specify which raster cells to alter.

Any suggestions?

Outcomes