How would I count the points per address in ArcGIS desktop?

02-18-2015 08:02 PM
EmilioDitrocchio
New Contributor

I'm working on an assignment for a Forensics class and am stuck on a question. I'm supposed to differentiate theft under/over $5000 during a specific time period in a specific zone, which I've done. It's now asking for an excel table showing the crime count per address in this area. I'm thinking I might need to use the select by location or attribute but I'm not sure how to get it to show what I need.

This is what my map looks like so far: http://i.imgur.com/hbArjdy.jpg?1

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

The Tabulate Intersection tool in the Analysis->Statistics toolbox is probably what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if you don't have the Advanced license of ArcMap, tabulate intersection won't work but it is on the right track.

When you mean address, it appears that you also want them within the zone outlined in black.  If so you can use the Summarize option within the table and summarize the thefts for that zone since you seem to have preselected the queries to do the initial differentiation.

Alternately, you can perform an intersection of the zone with the points and obtain a similar result, but you will still have to get your counts using Summarize

A select by Spatial Location after your attribute quer(ies) with a summarize will also work.

Once you get the data, you can export the table to a format that Excel can read such as Table to Excel

EmilioDitrocchio
New Contributor

It's on my school's computer so I'm not actually sure if it's an advanced license. Yup, I need it to be within that one zone. I've already differentiated between the crimes I need I just need a count per address (when I go into the attributes table of each crime and sort by address I can see there are some duplicates, just not sure how to count them).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out later today.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Open your crime point data.  Right click on address field.  Select summarize.  This creates a summary table and will give you a count of how many times the address appears in the data.  You can also pre-select for specific crime types and just summarize the selected records.

Be sure to tell your instructor that some really good guys on the ESRI forum helped you out.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos