ArcGIS Online Polygon Area Calculation?

Jump to solution
02-18-2015 08:11 AM
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

I have been banging my head for several hours...it appears that there is currently no method/option to automatically calculate the area of a polygon stored in a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online without creating a custom application.  The measurement tool is cumbersome when dealing with more than one polygon.  My current work around is to extract the feature service, calculate in desktop, and re-publish.  Someone please tell me I am missing something.

Best,

Kyle Balke

Senior GIS Analyst

Geodata Services, Inc.

Missoula, MT

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelKelly

I'm not sure when this was added (I suspect the December 2016 release), but the length and area now appear as attributes when you publish new line/polygon feature services via ArcGIS Pro/ArcMap:

ArcGIS Online Polygon Feature Length and Area Attributes

You can use the attributes for labels, in symbology and view them in the attribute table. You can also use Arcade Expressions to alter these (e.g. perform calculations and concatenation) for use in labels and symbology.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
NiekGoorman1
Occasional Contributor

We use FME for this, but an in-built option would be nice to have.

MantasButrimavičius1
Occasional Contributor II

It is often difficult for clients that are using only ArcGIS Online (without ArcGIS for Desktop) to work with their polygon or polyline data without the ability to calculate geometry as it is done in ArcGIS for Desktop. For example, if I have ArcGIS Online and I am working with land parcels in a small business company, I cannot evaluate changes in the area of my land parcels. The measure tool is not accurate enough.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Currently there area and length isn't automatically calculated with hosted feature services. There is a logged idea, which you can up-vote https://community.esri.com/ideas/10796

Thanks,

Kelly

MichaelKelly

I'm not sure when this was added (I suspect the December 2016 release), but the length and area now appear as attributes when you publish new line/polygon feature services via ArcGIS Pro/ArcMap:

ArcGIS Online Polygon Feature Length and Area Attributes

You can use the attributes for labels, in symbology and view them in the attribute table. You can also use Arcade Expressions to alter these (e.g. perform calculations and concatenation) for use in labels and symbology.