problems on adding new raster datasets to existing Image Server service.

09-07-2010 11:00 AM
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Hi, friends,

I am adding a county-wide raster dataset to an existing state-wide Image Server service for the purpose of updating. But I can't see my the updates in the overview even in a very fine scale, see 1:5000. The new added raster dataset can only be visible after zoom in to about scale 1:3000.

I have changed the value of the field "DispOrder" of the new records in FOOTPRINT to -1. There is no any help.

I am with ArcGIS Server 9.31.

How can I make the updated area displaying the new updated raster data in all the scales? or at least to more coarse scale, say 1:100000?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
It would appear that you have the base imagery and then created Service overviews. When you now add new imagery and define this as having a higher priority it will display at higher priority at the large scales, but the smaller scales where overviews are used the older imagery will be displayed as the overviews were created with the older imagery. You need to Build the overviews again. This will detect the areas that need updating and update these tiles.
0 Kudos
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Hi, Peter,

I had tried to build the overviews after I loaded the new raster dataset into the existing base imagery Image Server service. But, I still cannot get the overviews with new raster dataset. Can you give me sort of step by step instructions on how to add new raster dataset to an existing Image Server services so that the existing Image Server service can display the destination area with the new raster data?

Thanks,

Xiannian

It would appear that you have the base imagery and then created Service overviews. When you now add new imagery and define this as having a higher priority it will display at higher priority at the large scales, but the smaller scales where overviews are used the older imagery will be displayed as the overviews were created with the older imagery. You need to Build the overviews again. This will detect the areas that need updating and update these tiles.
0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
Note this is the procedure for V9.3.1. When using Mosaic Datasets at V10, the method is similar, but terms have changed.

I'm assuming that you already have an ISDef that has been created with overviews defined and generated, and you want to add new imagery with say a newer date.

- Create a new field eg Year
   In Service Properties, Field Properties, click on + for add Field. Set to metadata, Integer, Width 10
   A Year field should be added.
- Select all records and use Calculate to set the Year of the previous data.
- In Service Properties, Client Interface control, Order Field - Highlight Year, so that it can be used as an Order field
- In Service Properties, Client Interface control, Allowed mosaic method - Highlight By Attribute, so that the By Attribute method is allowed
- In Service Properties, Default Client properties. Set default Mosaic Method to ByAttribute. Set the Order field to Year,  Set Order base value 3000  (some value in the future)
- Add new data using the required raster type. When adding uncheck the option to generate overviews, so that overview a not automatically updated.
- Open table, select new records and use calculate to set the Year to the new value
- If you pan and zoom at larger scales you should now see the new imagery. At smaller scales (when overviews are being used) the older imagery will be displayed.
- In table also check the MaxPS values for the newly added data. It should be equal or larger then the values of smallest Service Overview values. If this is not the case then you will need to define new service overviews or force the MaxPS value to be larger.
- Build using the Generate derived images option. This will re-generate the overviews. Overviews that are no affected by the new imagery will not be changed. The system will only generate overviews for the tiles covering the new imagery.
- When zooming out you should now see the newer imagery.
0 Kudos
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Peter,

Thanks. It works by following your instructions.
How can I reward you points as in the old forum?

Wishes,

Xiannian
0 Kudos