Open Data item does not have license?

Jump to solution
02-17-2015 06:22 AM
deleted-user-Np_HetqJeO36
New Contributor II

All of the data I have made available on our open data portal reports with a warning of "This item does not have a license. Please edit the item in ArcGIS Online.". When editing the item in AGO, how do I give a "license" to the data?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CourtneyClaessens
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Peter,

You can add the license information to the "Access and Use Constraints" section of the ArcGIS Online item. We recommend choosing one of the Creative Commons licenses: About The Licenses - Creative Commons.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
CourtneyClaessens

Hi Peter,

You can add the license information to the "Access and Use Constraints" section of the ArcGIS Online item. We recommend choosing one of the Creative Commons licenses: About The Licenses - Creative Commons.

C_EHoward

Only a couple of my datasets have this message, and I did not do anything special to the others to give them a license. It is only a few sublayers of map services this seems to be affecting. Any reason why this would happen?

0 Kudos
CourtneyClaessens

Will you please provide a link to the map service where this occurs? If a sublayer has Access and Use Constraints set from ArcMap that will carry up to Open Data.

0 Kudos
ErikEngstrom
Occasional Contributor II

This seems backwards, to require "Open Data" to have access/use constraints before it's displayed in your site.

Our open data site has 105 datasets in it, all of which needed to be individual features and shared within groups. I simply cannot add access/use constraints to the group, I need to do this for EACH LAYER now. This was not originally required, but must have been a recent requirement and is now a big headache, since there is no real way to batch these.

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Hi Erik,

I'm sorry you are struggling this. Having a license is not a requirement, per se, for sharing your data. As you should be able to see, the datasets are currently available on your site. However, in order for your end users to make the best use of your data, they will need to know what their constraints are. That is why we warn you when your datasets do not have license information.

Warnings are distinguished from errors in that datasets will still appear on your site, although they could be improved.

We also understand your frustration with a lack of batch tools for this process, that is why we have developed and will soon be releasing a tool for you to choose a default license for all the datasets on your site. You will be able to choose one of the following Creative Commons licenses:

CC0,

CC-By,

CC-By-SA,

CC-By-NC

CC-SA-NC

CC-By-SA-NC

You can read about those licenses here: About The Licenses - Creative Commons.

Will one of these licenses fit your needs?

Daniel Fenton

Product Engineer | Open Data

0 Kudos
ErikEngstrom

Ah, I see now that this was a warning and was not prohibiting the the layer from being searchable on the site.

This was a separate issue, with not being able to link to datasets within a group by using the group ID.

Is the only way to link to features within a group, to access them by the keyword tag? Previously, I used to be able to link to the group ID and it would list all datasets within that group.

If I need to assign a specific tag to datasets within a group, this is another situation when being able to batch edit groups of datasets would come in handy. That way, I could select all datasets within a group and assign it a group specific keyword to search for in my site.

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Can you share the search that is no longer working?

Check out this post to see how to link to datasets by tag: Tip: How to control search results on your Open Data site

We hear you loud and clear. We're working on batch editing within the admin section of Open Data. We'll be sharing what we learn with the ArcGIS Online core team.

0 Kudos
ErikEngstrom

IT used to be that you could search for features within a group on your open data site by searching for the group ID set by ArcGIS Online. For instance: /datasets?q=f02c85e399694bfeb5843dc1471de6df

This ID was available by clicking the "share" link for the group and finding the ID within the embed code:

https://vtanr.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/embedGallery.html?displayapps=true&displayinline=true&grou...

This no longer works and does not return any results.

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Oh I see.

That was actually something we never intended. However there is supposed to be a

/datasets?group_id= parameter that does not appear to be working in the UI or documented. I'll get right on both.