Calculate Well Known Text (WKT) vertices for polygons

Jump to solution
02-12-2015 12:38 PM
EvanMiller2
New Contributor

I have a layer of parcel boundaries and the only way for the boundaries to draw in a certain property management application my organization is launching is to have a field with the coordinates of every vertex written in Well Known Text. Is there a tool or procedure in ArcMap that will help me calculate a field that would have such content?

To me this seems like a really odd way to have the parcel boundaries draw, but as far as this application goes, mapping is sort of an ancillary feature, it's more for tracking various projects and documents related to properties.

Looking forward to your responses!!

Evan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

There is a property that you can read for all geometries using arcpy that returns the well-known-text. From the ArcGIS Help 10.1:

WKT

(Read Only)

Returns the well-known text (WKT) representation for OGC geometry. It provides a portable representation of a geometry value as a text string.

You could use a python script to loop through your features and export WKT for all your parcels.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

There is a property that you can read for all geometries using arcpy that returns the well-known-text. From the ArcGIS Help 10.1:

WKT

(Read Only)

Returns the well-known text (WKT) representation for OGC geometry. It provides a portable representation of a geometry value as a text string.

You could use a python script to loop through your features and export WKT for all your parcels.

0 Kudos