ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
02-12-2015 10:21 AM
BrianKranick
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm trying to load some data points from a excel or CSV file.  Do you know what are the acceptable formats to load those to ArcGIS Online?

thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian,

CSV files are a supported format for adding layers to the contents of a map. For a full list of supported formats you can refer to this page in the help:

Add layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Good luck,

-Dan

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian,

CSV files are a supported format for adding layers to the contents of a map. For a full list of supported formats you can refer to this page in the help:

Add layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Good luck,

-Dan

BrianKranick
New Contributor II

Right, thanks.  So, I have a CSV file, but it looks like I might have to label the columns "Lat" and "Long" in order for GIS Online to properly read it, correct?

0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

If your file has latitude and longitude fields, these are used to locate the features on the map. If your file has address information, or if the latitude and longitude information cannot be determined by the map viewer, you are prompted to review the location fields and change them, if necessary.

The following fields are supported:

• Latitude, Longitude
  • Lat, Long
  • Y, X
  • Ycenter, Xcenter
  • Point_y, Point_x
  • Address
  • City
  • State
  • Zip

CSV, TXT, and GPX files—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Thanks,

-Dan

0 Kudos
BrianKranick
New Contributor II

do you know if there's a way to convert en masse coordinates from "Degrees Decimal Minutes" to DMS or DD?  ie, converting a hundred coordinates on a spreadsheet from DCM to DMS or DD?  or somewhere online?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Brian,

Looks like there's a tool here that will batch convert the data from a spreadsheet to different values:

Batch Convert

Thanks,

-Dan

BrianKranick
New Contributor II

Thank you for your help.  Now, I created a cvs file with coordinates as DMS but when I import them into ArcOnline, they show up as six-digit numbers (for example, 323232N loads as 323,232.00).  Do I need to change a format or something?

0 Kudos