After a quick search of the forums, I didn't see this particular problem listed, which is surprising to me as it was brought to my attention from a colleague using 10.2.1.
I created dual range address locator based on centerlines data. We have named and numbered streets in Utah, and every named street has a numeric alias: I created an alias table and it is part of the locator. Both the centerlines data and the alias table have a join item called of all things 'joinitem'. Initially I built the locator with out indexing the joinitem, and when it failed for the first time, I then retreated and added the index.
The alt-names table is ignored. My colleague created separate dual range locator using the numeric values as the street names and then put it together with the original as a composite and that works for him. I want it (as he does) to work the way it's supposed to.
The only changes I made to the default settings is I Added YES to Match with no zones (I heard that was a bug at 10.1) and changed the Presort input table by (fields) to City, Zip State, but I have even used an input table, I've just tested the locator interactively.