Can't view georeferenced tiffs from ArcGIS 10.2 in Microsoft Windows PhotoViewer?

Jump to solution
02-05-2015 08:07 AM
Labels (1)
Kyeong_PilKong
New Contributor

In ArcGIS 10.2, it seems when I export a georeferenced image to .tiff format, I can't view the image in non-ArcGIS picture viewing software such as Microsoft Windows PhotoViewer (image appears all black).  The .tiff does show up just fine in ArcMap and the viewer in ArcCatalog.

Is there some type of add-on or file I need to install to view such new tiffs now? Am I doing something inherently wrong when exporting? I checked and I can still view georef tiffs created from older versions of ArcMap just fine in photoviewer.

I like being able to use photoviewer to quickly scroll through a folder of referenced images so not having this capability now is frustrating.

Would appreciate any help or advice!

Also, I attached an example .tiff, can anyone see this in a non-ArcGIS picture viewing program?

-K

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you save it as 16 bit, I exported to 8 bit forcing RGB and it loads fine in any image viewer

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you save it as 16 bit, I exported to 8 bit forcing RGB and it loads fine in any image viewer

Kyeong_PilKong
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick response, and yes I tried re-exporting it and was able to view in WIndows photoviewer.

But when I am georeferencing a new image and want to rectify to .tiff, I can't see any options for choosing the pixel depth (8 bit or 16 bit)...is 16 bit mandatory?  I would like it to be 8 so I could view them in image viewers without having to re-export.

In the past I've usually just rectified JPEG to JPEG and only recently started rectifiying to .tiff because I was getting issues with referenced JPEGs in 10.2 (colors change, having to set NoData values, transparent areas, etc.).  The .tiff format works fine for GIS but not as easy when it comes to regualr image viewing.

0 Kudos