Map Journal and Images on AGOL account

Jump to solution
01-30-2015 11:12 AM
CrystalSchiffbauer-Bowles1
New Contributor III

I have already asked this question, but now I don't see it on the board anymore... curious.

Anyway, I have several png images saved to a Business AGOL account that I don't necessarily want to make public, and as of yet, we do not a location outside of the firewall to save. Is there a way to use these images in my Map Journal without saving them to a Flickr or Picasa account?

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Crystal Bowles

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor III

All right people, I think we figured it out. Tile caching was not the issue, and neither were any of the other options that can be added to a profile (Network Analysis, Spatial Analysis, GeoEnrichment, Demographics, Elevation Analysis), which to me seems like it would be like ArcView compared to Editor, more capabilities.

Well, what we found is that your file name should contain only Alpha and Numeric characters or underscores "_". My original images were extracted from a pdf and contained all sorts of ridiculous characters. KISS.

Happy Mapping!

Crystal.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
New Contributor III

It's handy when you can answer, or add information your own questions... so, through reading the actual Map Journal Tutorial, I found the following statement:

"You have several choices for image storage. You can store your images online in Flickr, Facebook, or Picasa. Our map tour builder can access images in those systems directly and will automatically use geotag information in the images to locate them on your map. If your images aren't geotagged, the map tour builder will let you specify their geographic location manually. You can also store your images in any other online sharing and storage solution or on your own website or web server and enter their URLs manually when you create your tour. If you have an ArcGIS organizational account with Publisher privileges, you have the additional option of uploading your image files from your computer directly into the map tour builder, where they will be stored in the cloud with your map. This is a convenient option if your images aren't already online."

I believe this last portion may be the hold up - where I may not actually have Publisher privileges. I am in communication with my AGOL administrator. But to be clear, my Role defined in my profile identifies me as a Publisher... ?

Still appreciating any help/ideas that may come along. Happy Friday everyone!

Crystal.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

I received some more feedback from our Admin. My profile was set up as Publisher - but, like everyone else in the org, without the ability to create tile caches. I am still unable to upload images directly from my computer which leads me to believe that the ability to create tile caches is required for uploading images into the Map Journal from my computer. Is there anyone that can confirm or deny this?

Thanks!

Crystal.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

All right people, I think we figured it out. Tile caching was not the issue, and neither were any of the other options that can be added to a profile (Network Analysis, Spatial Analysis, GeoEnrichment, Demographics, Elevation Analysis), which to me seems like it would be like ArcView compared to Editor, more capabilities.

Well, what we found is that your file name should contain only Alpha and Numeric characters or underscores "_". My original images were extracted from a pdf and contained all sorts of ridiculous characters. KISS.

Happy Mapping!

Crystal.

0 Kudos