ArcGIS Pro and versioning

01-28-2015 06:32 AM
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey everybody,

I am trying to get my feet wet with ArcGIS Pro.

I was importing my mxd that I use to perform edits. We use versioning to perform those edits. When the map opens in ArcGIS Pro, all the layers that are in the mxd that are versioned, have a red exclamation mark beside it.

I was looking all over to see where I can open the versioning tool, but I can't find it.

Does anyone use ArcGIS Pro yet with versioning and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PhilSanchez
Esri Contributor

Hi Tim,

To access the Versioning tools in Pro, go to the Contents pane, click the 'List by Data Source' button to change the view (the one that looks like a database can), and then click a Geodatabase node to activate the Versioning contextual ribbon tab. This tab contains tools that allow you manage your version (change, refresh, reconcile, and post).

In regards to the layers with the red exclamation marks, these are non-editable. You can view more details about layer editability in the Editing Status window. Click the Edit tab, go to the Manage Edits group, and click Status to open this window. We also have a help topic that describes some common messages regarding layer editability:

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/editing/basics/message-annotation-cannot-be-edited.htm

Hope this info helps.

Phil Sanchez, Esri

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Phil -

I have the same error-- it would be helpful if the documentation and error messages explained why. For instance, my data comes from an SDE database, so are SDE feature layers not editable in ArcGIS Pro? None of the Help documentation discusses the editing limitations which is also very confusing.

Thanks,

Sarah

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey Sarah,

You need to create a database connection. Open a Project and then click on the INSERT tab. There click on Connections -> New database connection. This is where you connect directly to your SDE database.

Hope this helps!

Tim

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah I see - the data cannot be edited if the map is imported. Thanks Tim.

...bad news for all of our .mxd maps though

0 Kudos
PhilSanchez
Esri Contributor

Hi Sarah,

ArcGIS Pro will create Enterprise Geodatabase connections when you import an MXD (that has Ent GDB connections) into a project.

A few questions for you... are you able to connect to the Enterprise Geodatabase in Pro? If so, are the layer's features displayed in the map? And are they still flagged as non-editable?

Thanks,

Phil

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Phil - connecting to an enterprise GDB in Pro goes smoothly, as does viewing features in the map, and they are not flagged as non-editable when added this way.

So far when importing MXDs a layer with a join is being flagged as non-editable. Interestingly, if I then add a new map and toggle back to the imported layers, sometimes the error goes away.

0 Kudos
PhilSanchez
Esri Contributor

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the additional info. We'll investigate this issue.

Thanks,

Phil

0 Kudos