10.3.0 Custom Component

01-27-2015 01:00 PM
DarrylWilson
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I'm looking at a new install of the 10.3.0 GeoEvent.

I am trying to add a custom component by going to site/components/Processors and clicking the "Add Local Processor" button.

I then browse to the location of the .jar file I created (I keep them in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\GeoEvent\deploy - as this was how it worked in previous versions) and I get the message "Processor "my-custom-processor-10.2.1.jar" added successfully". However, the processor is not it the list on the site/components/Processor page nor is it available in the drop down when using the designer.

I've tried closing the manager console and also re-starting the GeoEvent Service, however the custom component is still not available,

Any help would be most welcomed.

Best Regards

Darryl

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBramer
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Darryl,

You shouldn't keep your custom components in /deploy yourself.  This is where GeoEvent deploys .jars when you use Manager's "Add Local..." workflows.  If you are placing something in /deploy yourself, then GeoEvent is going to attempt to use it right away (if you're familiar with Tomcat, it's like copying a .war into /webapps - Tomcat will "hot deploy" it). 

Note that you can place .jar's in /deploy yourself -- which does the same thing as Manager's "Add Local..." workflows -- it's just that you should do one or the other.  To keep things clean, and myself sane, I keep my compiled .jar's in my NetBeans /dist folder, then deploy them to GeoEvent using Manager's "Add Local..." workflows.  Manager then places the .jar in /deploy and GeoEvent picks it up and registers it for use.  So I leave GeoEvent entirely in control of my /deploy folder when it comes time to deploying new components.

Deleting is a different story, as Manager does not have an equivalent workflow for removing custom components.  In the case of deleting custom components, just simply delete the .jar from /deploy yourself.  GeoEvent will detect the file's deletion and unregister that custom component.  Note that if you do this, 1) any existing inputs, outputs, or services that used your component will be in an error state and 2) any custom connectors that used a custom transport or adapter will then have their transport or adapter re-assigned to one that still exists in the list.  This is most likely not desired, so you should also delete the custom connector that used the custom transport or adapter.

Mark

0 Kudos
DarrylWilson
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I've tried removing the .jar files from the Deploy directory and adding them only via the components page. However still getting the same results.

Note that the .jar files were compiled against 10.2.1. Could this be the cause?

Many thanks

Darryl

0 Kudos
MarkBramer
Occasional Contributor II

Yes, it could, and it is most likely what's going on.  Are you able to recompile using 10.3?

Also, I've seen custom components not show up in the lists even when everything was deployed correctly, and with the same version.  In that case, I did a manual delete and deployed again.  For some reason, a second deployment often worked (sometimes three).  I can't explain why, but if you recompile with 10.3 and it still doesn't show up in the list upon deployment, manually delete from /deploy and re-deploy from Manager and see if it works.

But I'm pretty sure 10.2.1 compilation is what's causing the problem in this case.

0 Kudos