AnsweredAssumed Answered

Tetris the polygons

Question asked by gardneb3 on Jan 27, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 27, 2015 by dkwiens

So upfront, this is not my idea and I don't know if it can even be done. Our land management officer wants a way to quantify different land resources in our borough and the idea is to sort of tetris together polygons that represent a resource that are scattered across the borough. Kind sucking it all to the center of the map so that they fit together, but still represent each polygons location in relation to each other. The land management inventory ranges from public use areas, natural resources and recreational areas, etc. These scattered polygons that would be aggregated together will appear in the middle of the map and give a sense of how much of the total borough land represents this specific resource.

The main goal is to quantify land resources in a way that some one from outside the borough can understand it. I know there are many ways to do this and some of them are much easier than what I'm proposing now. I also know that this blob of tetris'd polygons is not going to keep accurate geometry because my coord-system is not equal area, but it does not have to be 100% accurate. I'm wondering if this vacuum-tetris thingamabob is even possible. What tools/software are out there?

Outcomes