Synchronizing ArcMap Desktop edits back to AGOL

01-22-2015 09:02 AM
DerekNelson
New Contributor II

On a number of hosted feature services I have successfully "Created Local Copy", "Start Editing", make edits and "Synchronize Local Edits with Server". This time though, is different. When I try to sync the edits back I get this message:

ErrorMessageforSyncEdits.JPG

When I first rec'd this message I tried the workflow out with another Feature Service and it worked swimmingly.

There is one difference to the edits I have made to this service, probably the culprit, but I thought I would ask anyhow. Adding a Field. I noticed that the process is a little different than regular Desktop edits to a local feature. In Desktop, you cannot be in "Editing" mode to add a field. With a local copy from a hosted feature service, you must be in "Editing" mode to add a field. My initial guess is that this is where the problem is. For those who will ask this is the workflow I have used:

add my FS from AGOL to Desktop blank map, zoom to extents (as to incorporate the entire FS for edits), right-click group name -->edit features-->create local copy (works fine), right-click feature-->start editing-->add fields-->create join-->calculate fields(some are distance calculations, others are just copying over other fields i.e. = another field from join)-->remove join-->save edits-->stop editing, right-click group name-->edit features-->Synchronize Local Edits with Server-->error message from above-->head banging against desk!!!

Assuming that since the ability of "Add Field" is an option it should work, what am I doing wrong? Any advice or suggestions would be helpful, I do not want to export to .shp, delete feature service, publish new service, update all AGOL maps if I don't need to, thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DerekNelson
New Contributor II

I need to update some of my text in the initial question...to add field to AGOL hosted feature service you must create local copy, not be in "Editing Mode" as I previously stated.

0 Kudos
DerekNelson
New Contributor II

additionally...I found out that even when it "Synchronize Local Edits with Server" successfully, the fields have not been added...smh the worse, ahhhh! I must now go back through I don't know how many services to see what has/hasn't been added. Even when something "works" it doesn't, close to sobbing.

0 Kudos
KyleGallagher
New Contributor III

Derek, did you ever find a solution to this? I am having a similar issue where I'm attempting to run a model to calculate field values. Everything looks fine in the table after running the model but when syncing back to server it appears some of the edits stay and some go away.

0 Kudos