Layers on older projects won't display

Jump to solution
01-19-2015 01:58 PM
TravisRoth
New Contributor

I have recently started learning ArcGIS on my own for a GIS position within the company I work for and am using the ArcGIS Tutorial 1 book. All of my exercises and projects from the tutorial have worked fine, but as soon as I open up existing projects from our company database none of the existing layers will show. They all have a red exclamation mark and I can't figure out how to see whats causing the problem. Any advice on where to start?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

The red exclamation mark means that the file is not at the location specified as the data source (for example, the layer is pointed to C:/shapefile.shp, but there is no such file). Open the layer properties (double-click on the layer). On the Source tab, choose "Set Data Source..." and navigate to the file location.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

The red exclamation mark means that the file is not at the location specified as the data source (for example, the layer is pointed to C:/shapefile.shp, but there is no such file). Open the layer properties (double-click on the layer). On the Source tab, choose "Set Data Source..." and navigate to the file location.