Basemap Service Slow to Load and Export

01-19-2015 07:43 AM
DanielYaw_Jr_
New Contributor III

Occasionally I like to use a free ArcGIS online map service, in this case the National Geographic canvas basemap. I am using this for large wall maps that are around 36x50 and at extent of 1:20000. I am using ArcMap 10.2. I have been having two problems here.

1)  The map is extremely slow to export to PDF. Sometimes it will take a half hour, and other times it can even crash.

2) The basemap is also extremely slow to load in layout view, but can speed up after the initial loading.

Does anyone have any tips to make these online basemaps perform better? There is also a good amount  of other data ontop of the basemap, but that should not be the problem.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

I have noticed similar behavior on very large maps.  It is a lot of tiles for it to draw.  Try switching your map coordinate system to Web Mercator and see if that helps.  Then your map wont have to re-project the basemap tiles to your local coordinate system.  i believe there is also an option for some basemaps to store them in a local cache so it will only be slow the first time it draws the image.

Dan

0 Kudos
DanielYaw_Jr_
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Yes, at one point it would work eventualy - but now it is not working at all. I recently figured out that this even happens without the map service, and now get a error:

"Exception thrown in destructor (f:\dd\vctools\vc7libs\ship\atlmfc\src\mfc\winfrm.cpp:142) Encountered an improper argument"

I put in a case to ESRI support a few days ago, and am going to see what they say.

0 Kudos
AdamSeamans1
New Contributor

Hi Daniel,

Did you ever hear back about the destructor exception?

Adam

0 Kudos
DanielYaw_Jr_
New Contributor III

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the late response, please see my recent response to Carlos.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
JeffHansen1
New Contributor

I started to get the destructor exception error today.  Was there any resolution?

Thanks,

Jeff

DanielYaw_Jr_
New Contributor III

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the late response, please see my recent response to Carlos.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
CarlosMendez
New Contributor

I started to get the destructor exception error today.  Was there any resolution?

Thanks,

Carlos

0 Kudos
DanielYaw_Jr_
New Contributor III

Hi Carlos,

No, there was not. I am no longer getting the error, but it will freeze up when exporting this specific map to a PDF. After hours working with ESRI support we were able to trace this to using 3D marker symbols. I tried two other people in my office and they get the same problem. Don't know why. I have however pretty much given up trying to solve this issue. I really think this could be a bug in their software. Are you using 3D marker symbols on your map?

Thanks,

Dan Yaw

0 Kudos
CarlosMendez
New Contributor

No, the problem is that out empty when you go to ADD DATA

0 Kudos