Can I send another reverse geocode request with forStorage=true if I want to save the previous reverse geocode?

Jump to solution
01-15-2015 12:49 PM
MattMorrow
New Contributor

I'm using the reverse geocoder to fetch results against my database. I'm not storing the geocode result in my database so I leave the default forStorage value as false. However, If my database doesn't have the location that the reverse geocode returns, can I do another request to the geocode service with the for storage parameter set to true and then save that result?

I'm also under the assumption that using the reverse geocode service to fetch records against my database is not against the terms of service. I'm I correct here?

I'm using the free developer plan now and will start paying for a subscription when the app goes live.

Thanks

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Matt,

As long as you aren't storing the results you get back from the service then you are in compliance.

Brad

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Matt,

"However, If my database doesn't have the location that the reverse geocode returns, can I do another request to the geocode service with the for storage parameter set to true and then save that result?"

Yes, if you want to store a value in a database, you would need to resubmit the request with the forStorage parameter set to true.

"I'm also under the assumption that using the reverse geocode service to fetch records against my database is not against the terms of service. I'm I correct here?"

Can you clarify this?  I am not sure I understand the question.

Brad

MattMorrow
New Contributor

Hi Brad,

To clarify, I'm using the reverse geocoding service with forStorage=false

on all requests and using the result it gives back to fetch records from my

database by City, State. If my database returns zero results because I

don't have the City, State then I would make an additional request to the

geocodig service with forStorage=true and save it to my database.

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Matt,

As long as you aren't storing the results you get back from the service then you are in compliance.

Brad