AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help GIS Tutorial for Python Scripting ex 2.3

Question asked by c_krider on Jan 14, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 by c_krider

I recently purchased David Allen's GIS tutorial and I'm stuck on exercise 2.3. The objective is to buffer multiple paths with variable buffer distances based on the length of the path -step 7 (I'm stuck here). The exercise uses a search cursor to go through each path and buffer accordingly. The data are available with the book here. I know the buffer line is incorrect, it needs to call fcName and wellBuffDist.

It would be helpful to see the full script...if anyone has already completed this exercise. Thanks.

try:

import arcpy

from arcpy import env

env.workspace = r"C:\EsriPress\GISTPython\Data\City of Oleander.gdb\Well_Data"

env.overwriteOutput = True

fcName = "BC_South_3H_Path"

wellCursor = arcpy.da.SearchCursor(fcName,["Shape_Length"])

for row in wellCursor:

drillLength = row[0]

def wellBuffDist(drillLenght, wellBuffDist):

if drillLenght < 3000:

wellBuffDist = 75

elif drillLenght >= 3000 and drillLenght < 4000:

wellBuffDist = 175

else:

wellBuffDist = 300

# Replace a layer/table view name with a path to a dataset (which can be a layer file) or create the layer/table view within the script

# The following inputs are layers or table views: "BC_South_3H_Path"

arcpy.Buffer_analysis(in_features="BC_South_3H_Path",out_feature_class="C:/EsriPress/GISTPython/MyExercises/Scratch/Temporary Storage.gdb/SelectionBuffer",buffer_distance_or_field="300 feet",line_side="FULL",line_end_type="ROUND",dissolve_option="NONE",dissolve_field="#")

print "great job!"

except:

print "do over"

Outcomes