tbianc1

turning lines into polynomials??

Discussion created by tbianc1 on Sep 2, 2010
Hello

I have a question for the forum.

To make a long story short...I have a view with hundreds of hurricane tracks (lines). Each storm consists of a number of lines segments, each giving the latitude/longitude of the hurricane at a certain time.The length of the line is the distance to the next observation, which is the start point for that line segment . Observations occur every six hours throughout the length of the storm. Each storm has a unique identification number, which can be used to combine all the segments into a single storm. We also converted this into a point file, with a midpoint in the center of each segment.

We want to take these tracks (hurricanes in the Atlantic Ocean) and find a kind of 'average' track type between them. To do so, I assume we need to take this line shapefile (or point shapefile) and convert these into a specific polynomial function for each storm. Then from this long list of polynomial functions, I also assume that we can run a regression on them to find the average track type.

My question to the forum is - is there a way on ArcMap (maybe using a geostatistical extension/wizard) to change all of these lines (points) into polynomials? Also, how to plot these geographically...i.e. how to translate these polynomials into a lat/long grid system?

Thanks

Outcomes