Do the ArcGIS users have this patch installed: QIP

Jump to solution
01-12-2015 04:43 PM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

How can I tell if a ArcGIS user has installed this patch or not on their machine?

ArcGIS-101SP1-DT-QIP-Patch.msp

Thanks,

Forest

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hi Forest,

You can either run the Patch Finder for Windows utility which will generate a list of all of the ArcGIS patches and service packs installed on your machine, or anytime you know the build number for a major service pack or patch, you can either go to ArcMap > Help > About ArcMap or view the Product Version in ArcGIS Administrator to see which build you actually have installed.

In the case of the QIP, I'd recommend going to your Start menu > All Programs > ArcGIS > ArcGIS Administrator and look for the Product Version. If the QIP is installed your build number will be Product Version: 10.1.1.3300. I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Kirsten

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hi Forest,

You can either run the Patch Finder for Windows utility which will generate a list of all of the ArcGIS patches and service packs installed on your machine, or anytime you know the build number for a major service pack or patch, you can either go to ArcMap > Help > About ArcMap or view the Product Version in ArcGIS Administrator to see which build you actually have installed.

In the case of the QIP, I'd recommend going to your Start menu > All Programs > ArcGIS > ArcGIS Administrator and look for the Product Version. If the QIP is installed your build number will be Product Version: 10.1.1.3300. I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Kirsten

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

That sounds simple enough. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

One more thing: you can get product numbers in scripting using arcpy.GetInstallInfo()

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As imperfect as PatchFinder may be, I think it's batting average is higher than relying on Build Numbers, especially from applications other than ArcGIS Administrator.  Looking at FAQ:  What are the build numbers for releases of ArcGIS Desktop?, one can see that build numbers for ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 QIP are incorrect in ArcMap and ArcCatalog.  The ArcGIS 9.3.1 SP2 QIP had a similar issue.

Taking the above information together with the fact that most patches don't update build numbers, our organization has moved away from using build numbers for identifying anything beyond major/full releases.  In fact, we have an Esri Support Case open right now over how to definitively show the OpenSSL patch has been applied because PatchFinder isn't showing the patch on some machines that it has been applied on.

Of course, the issue only gets muddier when dealing with patching Background Geoprocessing as well as Desktop.  Just be aware that identifying installed patches has historically been as much an art as a science.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just applied the QIP to ArcGIS desktop. No issues were identified, it appears to have run. After restarted, I downloaded the patchfinder from the esri Patches and Services Packs page (first paragraph has link), and ran it. It did not identify the patch has having been installed. The ArcGIS administrator does show the build mentioned above.

Patchfinder fail?

Update 5/11/2015

It appears that the first install of the QIP failed part way through. ArcGIS Administrator was updated, but other parts were not. Once the entire install ran, Patchfinder correctly showed what was installed.

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Joshua, that is also very interesting.

Thanks for the help everyone!

0 Kudos