Unable to open Excel with ArcMap 10.3...

01-07-2015 05:03 PM
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Greetings!

I installed ArcGIS 10.3 and I am unable to open any spreadsheets directly in ArcMap.  Using the Excel to Table tool works fine.  Is this new at 10.3 or am I missing something?  You used to be able use the Add Data tool without converting it.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Ok.  The excel file was an xlsx format file not xls.  Interesting that I can use the import tool, but not use the add data button.

0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

I was missing the 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components.  You can find them here:

Download 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components from Official Microsoft Download Ce...

After loading the connectivity components the add data works correctly.  I had a later version of Office on my pc, but still needed to install these components.

HellenSimpson
New Contributor III

We are operating office 2013 as well as ArcGIS 10.2.2 and it will only recognise xls files. Is there a solution to this apart from saving the xlsx as a xls?

Regards

Hellen

0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Hellen,

Yes!  You should download and install the 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components.  ArcGIS must need this specific version of the driver to be able to read xlsx files.  Having a more recent version like Office 2013 would seem like it would have all of the previous drivers/components, but it doesn't.  Click on the link shown above to get to the right driver.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Tom

ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Tom!!

This totally fixed my exact issue.

Tom

0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Thomas,