Linux/PostgreSQL vs Windows/SQL Server for ArcGIS Server?

01-06-2015 08:09 AM
BrandonSmith
New Contributor

My company is preparing to deploy an ArcGIS server.  This is a long-term investment, so we want to make sure we don't start down the wrong path.  We commonly use GIS in conjunction with other custom, web applications.  In general, we much prefer to use PostgreSQL/Linux than Windows/SQL Server, but I don't know what kind of limitations ArcGIS server has in that environment, if any.  Can someone give me a rundown of pros/cons, potential pitfalls, little-known facts about the two, etc.

Thank you much!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

There is no significant difference in capability between ANY of the enterprise geodatabase platforms (that's the purpose of ArcSDE technology -- to provide a common framework for database access).  I doubt an unbiased pro-con list could be generated.

Esri policy is to avoid recommendations, and to encourage users to choose the database which they feel most comfortable maintaining.

- V

0 Kudos
FilipKrál
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Vince Angelo‌‌ and all,

I have a very similar question but I am interested in differences between ArcGIS for Server on Linux vs Windows regardless of the database.

Is there a help topic dedicated to this? I have a vague memory of reading somewhere in the docs that some geoprocessing tools (from the core toolboxes and official esri extensions) do not run on linux or that arcpy has some limitations on linux compared to windows, but I cannot find it now. It is geoprocessing and arcpy I am most concerned about.

I'd be happy to read any opinions, and experiences people have had, especially from people who administered ArcGIS for Server (>=10.1) on both platforms.

Best regards,

Filip.

0 Kudos