Script is deleting rows in attribute table, no idea why

01-07-2015 07:09 AM
ThomasCaruso
New Contributor III

Hello folks,

So I've actually got a couple issues here, and some help would be greatly appreciated as I've been working on this for a few days now and it needs to be wrapping up. I'm still learning python and am admittedly not very good yet.

So basically, this is a script that should:

1) Look at a point that represents an unverified well location on a map

2) Select all centroids within a given distance of that point

3) Compare the last names of centroid owners and well owners to see if any of them match

4) If there is a match, write "YES" in a column called match

5) Move on to the next well and repeat

Some issues I've run into:

1) I was having trouble making the "select by location" function work. I had a search cursor and the arcpy.SelectLayerByLocation_management acting on the row in the cursor, but it would instead select all centroids nearest all wells, and then iterate to the next well record and do the same again. I got it to select from one well at a time using advice on this forum but then it started deleting rows in my attribute tables, which leads to..

2) The title problem.

Can any kind soul lend me a hand?

***EDIT***

While I haven't figured out why things were being deleted, I did determine that if I "select all" in the wells1 feature layer and then save as a new featureclass, the attribute tables in all of my layers (wells, wells1 and the new output) all remain intact. I'm not sure why this works, but I'll take it for now. My only remaining issue is that my for loops with the cursors exit after two iterations, one "if" and one "else"; because I do get a single YES in my match column, and the "print owner, orpsowner" is only called once before the script selects and saves.

Here is my full, updated script:

import arcpy
import datetime
current_time = datetime.datetime.now().time()

print current_time

arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = 1

# define a workspace
arcpy.env.workspace = r"C:\Users\tmc18\Desktop\comp_orps\NYS_Wells.gdb"

# Define input files
orps09 = r"C:\Users\tmc18\Desktop\comp_orps\centroids\madirps_point1.shp"
wells = r"C:\Users\tmc18\Desktop\comp_orps\NYS_Wells.gdb\Madison_DEC_Well_Logs_3_14_14_MASTER_COPY1"

# Make a feature layer
arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(orps09, "orps09_FL")
arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(wells, "wells1")
wells1 = "wells1"

# Create dictionary of last names of all well owners
well_owners = {}  
rows = arcpy.da.SearchCursor(wells1, ["OBJECTID", "OWNER_L"])  
for row in rows:  
    well_owners[row[0]] = str(row[1])   
del rows

# Create search cursor which will iterate through wells       
with arcpy.da.SearchCursor(wells1, ["OBJECTID"]) as cursor:
        for row in cursor:
            # set well owner name for this record
            record = row[0]
            owner = well_owners[record]

# select by attribute  
            arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(wells1,"NEW_SELECTION","OBJECTID = {}".format(row[0]))

# select by location
            arcpy.SelectLayerByLocation_management("orps09_FL", "WITHIN_A_DISTANCE", wells1, "0.5 kilometers", "NEW_SELECTION")

# create search cursor which will iterate through selected orps owners
            with arcpy.da.SearchCursor("orps09_FL", ["OWNER_L"]) as orpscur:
                for row in orpscur:
                    # set orps owner name
                    orpsowner = row[0]

# compare owner's names    
                    if owner != orpsowner:
                        pass
                        print owner, orpsowner

else:
                        print "YES"
                        # select the row that the main well cursor is currently on
                        arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(wells1,"NEW_SELECTION","OBJECTID = {}".format(record))
                        # update the match field
                        with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(wells1, ["match"]) as cur:
                            for row in cur:
                                row[0] = "YES"
                                cur.updateRow(row)
                            del cur
                        # clear selection    
                        arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(wells1,"CLEAR_SELECTION")   
                        break
        # if the well cursor has exhausted the list and the .next() method returns a stop iteration...        
        try:
            error = cursor.next()
        except StopIteration:

# select all features in the FL and save to a new featureclass
            arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(wells1,"NEW_SELECTION","OBJECTID >= 1")
            arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(wells1, "Madison_well_logs_match")
            arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(wells1,"CLEAR_SELECTION")
            print current_time
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlexanderNohe1
Occasional Contributor III

The 'u' in front of the string values means the string has been represented as unicode. It is a way to represent more characters than normal ascii can manage.

Source: python - What does the 'u' symbol mean in front of string values? - Stack Overflow

Can you explain the title problem to me (problem 3)?  I am a little confused what you mean by this.

ThomasCaruso
New Contributor III

What I mean by problem 3 is that literally, once it hits the area past the line of ####, all of the rows in both my original "wells" file, as well as in the feature layr simply disappear. If I run the script up to before that point, I get two feature layers that contain the full set of data included within both of the original files. However, after I let it run further than that, every row, all of the data in both of my "wells" (featureclass and feature layer) is gone. When I open the attribute table, it is simply empty.

0 Kudos
AlexanderNohe1
Occasional Contributor III

One more thing, is the else loop ever hit when you run this?  Line 44 should have YES in quotes like it is on line 47.

0 Kudos
ThomasCaruso
New Contributor III

When I queried the dictionary, I recieved the u'LASTNAME' notation, which I thought was stopping a match, but as the script progressed it did in fact hit the else loop, so I guess the dictionary thing isn't an issue anymore. And then I fixed that "YES". So now I'm just trying to get it to stop deleting all of my data, lol.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I will have to look at the script more later, but a quick response to your #1.  What is it about u'LASTNAME' that you see as wrong?  Is it all caps and it shouldn't be?  Is it the Unicode notation in front of the first quote?  If it is the latter, you have nothing to worry about.  The 'u' isn't part of the actual string, it is simply informing you that the string has been stored as Unicode.  You shouldn't have any issues passing that Unicode string back into a feature class, but on the remote chance there is an issue, you can always convert it to ASCII.

ThomasCaruso
New Contributor III

Hi Josh, it ws just the quotes, I thought it was stopping it from reading it as a match, but that ended up not being the case. Now I'm simply trying to figure out how to stop it from deleting all of my data. A change that I'm making is that I was originally trying to make the update cursor act on the original "wells" and not the "wells1" feature layer, however I believe it will be easier to do all of my selection and changes in the created feature layer and then save it as a feature class at the end of the script.

Thanks for your help. I'd love to hear more from you later if you have the opportunity.

0 Kudos
ThomasCaruso
New Contributor III

Hi Joshua,

Please note that I've updated my post. Some of my problems have been solved.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Honestly, I think your earlier code was easier to read and fairly close to working/workable.  The error trapping at the end confuses me because the try statement is at the same indentation as the for statement that loops through the cursor, so cursor.next() should always generate an error by the time it gets to that line.  Also, I think the break statement is prematurely breaking you out of one of your cursors.  Without having access to sample data to walk through the code with, I have to bow out.  Best of luck.

ThomasCaruso
New Contributor III

Hi Josh,

I actually ended up figuring it out. That whole "try" nonsense was just a flight of fancy. It now all works the way I had hoped. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos